Recycling thought

Correction : It's the past.

20 Years ago a visiting engineer from France came to our company and explained that "Vin Plonque" was cheap wine that came in 2 litre plastic bottles.

Bacteria can readily grow on the internal surfaces of plastic bottles. If the contents are wine the alcohol may supress them to some extent.

As can readily be determined by taking a taking a drink from a small plastic bottle of spring water. It might well have been 50 million years old but within 2 days it will be tainted.

DG

Reply to
Derek Geldard

The issue is not one of the number of collections, but the number of useful collections required by the paying customer.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Tell you what Dynamo, me old mate, me old tatey ...

I'd bet you a pound against a piece of shit the the machines which dispense cash in return for empty bottles have to be much better specified / built / calibrated than the ones that take in cash and dispense full bottles of beverages ...

DG

Reply to
Derek Geldard

We do shop more often than that (often because we have run out of milk). The supermarket milk is long dated and is usually at least a week before it's use by date. This contrasts with our last milkman where the Friday evening delivery in the summer would be off before the next delivery on Monday morning. This was made worse, by him delivering to people who had cancelled, where he collected it the next day and delivered to the next house. He also used our doorstep as a depository for surplus crates.

The last straw was after we were slow to answer the door when his daughter was collecting the money. She had us down as not paying, and didn't correct it when we paid, and next week he insisted that we were a week in arrears. We haven't had milk delivered since, are no longer awakened by him, and have a regular suppply of fresh milk.

Reply to
<me9

Have some of your fingers dropped off ?

Anyway we live close to 3 landfill sites (Including "Morley Greaseworks", a name to conjur with if ever I saw one) plus a site used to dispose of 1,000's of BSE Bovine corpses.

The impact on us is *ZERO* and property prices are unaffected.

But that's rubbish talk isn't it ?

It's just Bollox is that. If you want goods industrially made there will be waste streams.

Send it to China if you like and they'll just pick it over and burn the rest (say 93%) on small bonfires, and that is what is what's happening. The impact on the global eco-sphere is not changed one Iota.

DG

Reply to
Derek Geldard

It's a naught over naught equation but I wouldn't go that far.

8-|

DG

Reply to
Derek Geldard

He didn't say that.

DG

Reply to
Derek Geldard

"Now the rain has gone." Sorry, I'm of a certain age: it reminded me of a TOTP hit of years ago. I'll get my coat, bye!

Reply to
Clot

Does that work as well as hot water ?

Do you get washed in cold water ?

Do you do the washing up in cold water?

From what I recall you fire up a 20-30 Kw boiler to do the washing up for 3 people. (You weren't aware or didn't care exactly how much it was)

What a load of cant.

DG

Reply to
Derek Geldard

Indeed they can, just as in a glass container. Initial sterility is the issue.

Of course; spring water is not sterile, likely to contain more bacteria than mains water. Mains water has chlorine ( or other chemicals) to maintain sterility.

Reply to
Clot

Get on with it then.

DG

Reply to
Derek Geldard

Me too, but I managed to resist ...

Reply to
geoff

You are not allowed to illuminate to Dynamo Hansen that issue.

Next you will be saying that having two different systems of law in one Judiciary cannot be workable.

Such thoughts are not permitted.

DG

Reply to
Derek Geldard

My Respect, Man! :)

Reply to
Clot

I did not think that the FOE film was of any help to the debate; it was emotional and displayed little fact. I was involved many years ago in the development of the EU Landfill Directive and tried to steer in a different direction.

I also worked in Beijing in 2003 when I observed septa and octagenarians fighting to collect plastics for recycling. If we have empty boats returing to that area where good use can be made of "plastic rubbish" then we should support this, rather than the very negative views I have seen here in the UK.

Reply to
Clot

It's the Greenie equivalent of "Hail Marys" (whatever they are).

Reply to
Huge

Fresh milk freezes perfectly well.

Reply to
Huge

I've never heard such a load of old garbage.

Reply to
Huge

On Sun, 10 Feb 2008 00:17:52 GMT someone who may be "Clot" wrote this:-

Was it? Does it show weeping people or anything else which might be called emotional?

It isn't a dry university report. However, there is nothing wrong with it because of that.

Reply to
David Hansen

On Sun, 10 Feb 2008 00:01:45 +0000 someone who may be Derek Geldard wrote this:-

Excellent. Do keep it up.

Reply to
David Hansen