Recycling thought

On Fri, 8 Feb 2008 17:33:06 +0000 someone who may be chris French wrote this:-

A reverse vending machine. Search engines will pull up a lot of information about them.

Reply to
David Hansen

On Fri, 8 Feb 2008 23:10:17 +0000 someone who may be Andy Hall wrote this:-

Glad to hear that you now state that the film is not nonsense.

The question then becomes whether one is too idle to do anything about it, other than occasionally whining that others should do something first, or not.

As I said, not producing the waste in the first place is by far the best approach.

Reply to
David Hansen

On Fri, 8 Feb 2008 19:40:35 -0000 someone who may be "Mungo \"Two Sheds\" Toadfoot" wrote this:-

Feel free to investigate further should you feel the need to. I gave you the answer to your question, should you desire not to believe the answer then you should do some further work on it.

Reply to
David Hansen

He never did state that the film was nonsense.

Reply to
Steve Firth

You gave me *an* answer, and I thank you for it.

Si

Reply to
Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot

Sorry, Andy, but trotting out the old "nitwits in Brussels" chestnut does nothing for your case. European legislation has raised standards in Britain in quite a few areas

Reply to
Bob Martin

Why? Its easy to separate alu cans from steel and other non-metallic cr@p.

Reply to
dennis

The starving think what you put in the compost is a waste, so tread carefully when you say things you may regret.

Reply to
dennis

Its practicality.. who is going to sort all the different shapes and sizes, pack them up, store them until there is enough to ship, etc. It worked with milk because there was a milk bottle, not 400 different shaped milk bottles.. so sometimes it said express dairies and sometimes asda but who cared. It is the marketers that make reuse difficult in their attempt to make brand image.. nothing will change until they are sacked/re-trained.

That would be true for plastics. Maybe if they put different fluorescent dyes in plastic a machine could grind plastic up and separate the types using air jets?

Ah yes.. just put a pint of bleach in this pop bottle for me please.

Impetus starts at zero. Where would we be if Fleming had said that?.. hang on he did say that.

It needs to be a high enough percentage to keep the glass production going.. it take far less energy to make glass if some of it is recycled than if none is.

Well they could start by not shipping bottled water about.. it isn't better than tap water and pollutes like hell. Then there are other minor things like dumping cosmetics and jewelry as both kill and pollute for nothing.

The greet argument is fine.. the reasons for doing it are a bit dodgy if global warming is the reason.

Reply to
dennis

They deliver here but the fresh skimmed milk is vile.. They won't deliver uht skimmed milk so its the local asda for milk.

To those that haven't tried it uht skimmed milk is totally different to fresh skimmed milk in every respect.

Reply to
dennis

On Thu, 7 Feb 2008 21:50:20 +0000 someone who may be Andy Hall wrote this:-

An interesting assertion. In fact most people have more collections than they used to, but what is collected varies from collection to collection. How these extra collections are cheaper I don't know and you failed to state how they are cheaper last time.

Reply to
David Hansen

I stopped using one 20 years ago. Reasons: Could no longer ask for an extra pinta on the day because the milkman only purchased exactly what he had orders for each day from the dairy. Milk nowhere near as fresh as from the supermarket. Became significantly more expensive than supermarket. Didn't always turn up until after we'd gone out for the day. The bottles were a poor use of space in the fridge.

My parents still use their milkman, and they get other things such as orange juice and cheese from him. He only stops at a few of the houses in the street now, whereas it was nearly all 50 of them when I was at school (and there was a mobile greengrocer who called twice a week too back then).

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

In message , Andrew Gabriel writes

The final straw (so to speak ) with mine was that he didn't seem to understand that I didn't appreciate being woken up at 7am on a sunday to pay him

Reply to
geoff

And our final straw was when we got a note saying that the dairy was stopping all rounds immediately. Didn't leave a lot of choice.

Reply to
Rod

The message from geoff contains these words:

I still have milk delivered although the current incarnation only manages 3 days a week. As he has to walk 60 yards down my drive I try and make a point of always advising changes to my order in advance so I don't know whether he carries any surplus stock.

As I only go shopping once or twice a fortnight I would be seriously inconvenienced if the deliveries stopped. I like my milk fresh aand certainly can't stand the taste of that UHT muck. In the days before unpasterised milk was banned from the doorstep a previous incarnation occasionally left me a bottle of greentop by mistake. To me it tasted better than silver (full cream) milk and vastly better than the semi skimmed I have been persuaded to use on health grounds but as it seemed to me that the risks from unpasturised outweighed the benefit I never actually ordered any.

Sunday deliveries went with the previous incarnation (who delivered 4 times a week).

I currently get a bill every 4 weeks. Previous incarnations got a proforma as and when I remembered to put it out which certainly wasn't as regular as every 4 weeks. I have had at least 6 different milkmen since I moved here some 30 years ago and I can't actually remember any of them calling and expecting to be paid although I suppose the first one must have done. The only time I remember seeing any of them was when I happened to be going out early at the same time as they were delivering. I am sure some I never met at all.

Reply to
Roger

At long last someone who can see clearly.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I'm not saying you're wrong, I certainly don't know enough, but ......

You're disputing what scientists from all over the world are telling us ? Future generations are going to just love the millions of people like you if the scientists are right :-(

Why do you say that global warming is not caused by man ?

Reply to
Hugh Jampton

Wasting Food ! = Food Waste.

DG