Recycling thought

Nope...not the museum

Reply to
Bob Eager

Nope - full of students! (student union is called the Drunken Sailor, mind)

Reply to
Bob Eager

It's anything but noisy!

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

I'm in Leeds (Yorkshire, not Kent) but have been to Watford. Once. I was staying in Radlett and needed a part for the car, Watford was the nearest place I could get it according to RAC.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

The message from somebody contains these words:

Was he also responsible for the double roundabouts that pre dated the magic roundabout by a considerable margin? (Although I can't recall when either the doubles or the multi were actually built).

PITA all of them.

Reply to
Roger

Personally, can't wait for the day that everyone has an electronic implant (Tag). James

Reply to
the_constructor

In message , Roger writes

They probably pre-date me :-)

I know he was responsible for a wonderful series of changes to the roundabout at the junction of North Station Road and Cowdray Avenue. About 10 or 15 years ago it went something like.... - was a single. - changed to a double. - changed to a single with a bus lane through the middle - changed to a 'teardrop' to stop cars going all the way round - back to a single.

Probably a million pounds or so wasted over a couple of years.

Unbelievable.

Reply to
somebody

The one I remember in Colchester was between the bottom of North Hill and the railway station. It was a 'normal' large roundabout (on the ring road), but if you were on the ring road (either direction) and wanted to turn right, you could use a small L-shaped road through the middle of the roundabout.

The double ones were further along in the Ipswich direction. Alll circa

1974. I arrived in 1973, the day before the incendiary bomb in Woolworths.
Reply to
Bob Eager

The message from somebody contains these words:

But unfortunately not me. :-(

They certainly weren't there when I passed my driving test in Colchester in 1961. Bob places the doubles in 1974 but without that I would have suggested they might even have been earlier. They were certainly there prior to the opening of the A120 bypass (circa 1983).

I thought the magic roundabout was much later, possibly within the last

10 years, but the speed at which time passes these days means I could easily be wrong.

And he probably went on to a better job after that. Isn't local government wonderful!

Reply to
Roger

They were there in 1974 (probably late 1973). But they could have been there long before that; that was the first time I ever went there.

Reply to
Bob Eager

In message , Bob Eager writes

Just down the steps from the campus

Yeah - been there a few times

Reply to
geoff

It's reasonably easy to differentiate once one gets north of Milton Keynes.

- In Birmingham one wonders how a million people can have a speech impediment

- On one side of the Pennines to the south they say "champion" while on the other it's "gradely"

- On one side of the Pennines to the north they are wondering whether nuclear exposure is the reason that they can't operate their new digital TVs; while on the other they wonder whether it will rain horizontally *all* the year round.

- North of that, forget it. They're completely confused and like playing with windmills.

Reply to
Andy Hall

High Wycombe has that honour as well, which is probably a Good Thing

Reply to
Andy Hall

I have spent several years of working with flow cytometry equipment including platelet counters, heamatolgy analysers, and cell sorters.

A large proportion of the problems we had were due to bugs growing in plastic or silicone lines. That was some years ago.

They at least made for provision for being cleaned out with strong hypochlorite bleach.

Next occurrence was when I bought a Maytag side by side fridge. Within days it was dispensing tainted water and there was no provision for cleaning the lines. We stopped using the water dispenser. It is not for nothing the dearer ones have an activated charcoal filter.

The fridge was fed from a dedicated outlet, and the domestic tapwater was fine.

About then some colleagues came over from Holland for an exhibition, and I asked them to taste it."It tastes as if it's been in a container too long" they said.

So I did a little trial with a new small bottle of spring water, I took a swig out of it and re-sealed it and left it out in the bedroom at room temp. The following night I took another swig and sealed it again, the night after that I tried again and I could detect it was tainted.

It could be that I am abnormally sensitive to off - flavours some people are. Some are the opposite.

DG

Reply to
Derek Geldard

The message from "Bob Eager" contains these words:

In which case it is just possible they date back to the late 60s. The trouble is memory fails and back in those days I was only going home to visit my parents once a year so I would only have seen them twice a year, once either side of Xmas.

Funnily enough I can remember my father warning me about them (or possibly it if one came before the other) but I can't place the year at all. I can't even remember which car I was driving which could have limited the time to a year or two.

Reply to
Roger

The message from Andy Hall contains these words:

You seem to have the bit about rain the wrong way round. It is the NW that has increased nuclear exposure from Sellafield along with more from Chernobel than most of us got. They also get most of the rain, as well as being the first district to have analogue TV switched off. East of the Pennines we don't get anywhere near as much rain. IIRC only about 40 inches per year which is only double that in the most drought ridden parts of the SE.

Reply to
Roger

Ah! Interesting & very green IMO.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I've heard about it on the TV thats all. Something to do with getting running water I recall.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Birnam.

DG

Reply to
Derek Geldard

What about the energy burden of running the ingot up and down the M (N) on the back of a flat bed truck marked up in marker pen "This ingot is the result of recycling 10,000,000,000 million aluminium cans.

DG

Reply to
Derek Geldard