Recycling - how do others cope?

My sister puts the cats tins in the dishwasher (with everything else).

She seems to genuinely think that LA have changed their scheme (to lightweight plastic bags) to punish *her* for previously putting dirty things in the old recycling bin.

tim

Reply to
tim

Not all postings appear on the news server instantaneously. None of your other responses were visible on my server at the time I responded.

Roger

Reply to
Bluestars

I rinse mine in cold water, I realise that there's an environmental cost to this as well, but nowhere near the cost of hot.

tim

Reply to
tim

I woder if the people that make these rules think that the original raw-materials were 'clean'?

tim

Reply to
tim

I wasnt being silly, thats what you implied.

I'm saying that you are prepared to store your cans etc.

But as I said earlier, I dont store many cans. I dont eat out of cans. Or drink out of them.

This is getting a bit off topic now but , since you ask:

Mostly old ladies. Men store dirty cans!

And yes despite your disbelief it is many. The problem is quite a common one in the elderly. It vaires in degree ( perhaps because they are a war time generation when recycling was also an issue(?) . I cant say for sure why, but ask any social worker/ community nurse / health visitor and they will tell you its a common symptom. Sometimes houses are stuffed full of papers and rubbish in boxes. You could see it as eccentric, but in old people its often an reason for putting them into care. So the many stands and it was a statement, not hyperbole.

I am supplied with sacks. Thats the problem. The bags are underfoot everywhere I turn. I have nowhere to put them.

I make no excuse. I burn them. I put them on the fire in place of fire lighters. I have few options except to use solid fuel in my home.

I dont have an outhouse. I dont have a utility room. I dont have a garage. I said I have nowhere to put them. And not a lot of available room near the house. I wondered if someone had come up with space saver method of putting these things safely somewhere.

What neighbours? I dont have any. I live in the middle of nowhere. The "curbside" is the main road running at the bottom of my lane which connects several dispersed communities to the main town. hence the dust cart has to come across it and I suppose someone thought it would be a good idea to shove us on the list of stops along the way.

Yes it does make sense. You dont want to understand. I suspect you are putting principle before practicality and fail to realise that some of us are living fairly eco friendly and ssustainable lives already and in fact recycling is creating a problem where previously there was none or a lesser one.

I dont have many cans of food ( two a week maybe) , so I dont have many to recycle. Previously they would go out in the weekly bin (just one bin for collection - and not always full)

Now, they are put into the sack. the sack then sits there waiting to be filled slowly, week by week.

I dont have many newspapers - one on a weekend and maybe a mid week one ( hence I used to burn them on the fire I have to make to heat the house, water and sometimes cook too). Junk mail was shreded and either composted or but in the black sack, depending on how I felt.

Now I have been told to put them in a sack. The sack fills slowly, again its sitting around the kitchen floor. I can barely move with sacks all over the place.

No I havent actually. Most of them have said the same as you - use an outhouse, or garage or utility which I dont have, so living where I do, I have to apply for planning permission for this construction and use up my garden for something I dont want, to store sacks which are not really practical for a cause which is disputable

No. Ive made up my mind. reading the debate here - I am dumping the half dozen cans into the black bin bag next week, putting the papers on the aga, and getting my kitchen back. I will remember in future to make sure I buy even fewer cans than I do now. And since the paper is rubbish anyway, I'll just get a weekly TV mag for the whats on guide and burn it when I've finished with it.

Now thats a solution isnt it?

Reply to
mich

OK sorry. I am just fed up of being chided because I have no place to put some stupid plastic sacks which are taking weeks to fill because basically I am not a *waste generating* person anyway.

One black bag a week and couple of newspapers , which get burned. Very little junk mail and thats it. I dont think recycling is a suitable proposition for me.

Im just better dumping and taking stuff or taking it to the amenity tip.

Reply to
mich

I don't think this can be true. Otherwise why would they bother to have separate containers for different colours, and make a fuss about the type of glass that can be put in.

Ditto for plastics.

I have seen on TV recycled material being made into laminate sheet. I don't think there was any subsidy involved, but a principal factor in the economics must be the integrety of the recycle material. Its obviously no good if its contaminated with unsuitable plastic.

IMO part of the problem of getting the economics right is to ensure only the right stuff goes in the recycle bank in the first place. From my observations some people take no notice at all about what should be put in, with a negative impact on viability since someone has to sort it out again.

Roger

Reply to
Bluestars

Depends how far ahead you look - landfill tax is escalating, and new sites are becoming more expensive (as they're rarer) so costs are rising. Incineration is unpopular with those who live near the incinerators.

If you want a selfish point of view, you get more wheelie bin space (assuming you're on them) - my local council won't take anything that's not in the bin on the normal collection. Near where I work it's rationed bin bags and recycling boxes.

If it's economics you're after - economies of scale.

If you were really worried about wasting water you could rinse them in a bucket taken from the bath before emptying it, or use rainwater. I use the end of the washing up water, as ther's no room for a dishwasher.

btw I was in Japan recently, where they have real space problems. You have to sort rubbish into compostable, combustable, recyclables, etc. At least one sort is collected almost daily.

Reply to
Chris Hodges

That would appear to be simple stupidity on their part (unless they have to make a journey specially). How about taking them when you go shopping anyway, or is there no recycling bin at your supermarket/local shops.

People who stop by the recycling bins at the supermarket, engines on, while emptying their car off bottles etc, before driving round to park as near the door as they can.

Reply to
Chris Hodges

I think there is more to life's values than strict economics. Whether you think recycling is worthwhile just depends on your outlook on life.

I'm sure you are well aware of all the recycling arguments, but someone has to pay for the land fill, and if that cost can be put upon the producers (like supermarkets), then maybe they won't use so much of it and the goods may become cheaper.

Some hope....

Roger

Reply to
Bluestars

(text recycled!) The company for which I work now have to (by law) design and pay for end of life products, this means we have to pay the recycling costs of all products we design and manufacture. Why don't supermarkets have to do the same, and take back the empties?

Reply to
Martin

"mich" wrote in news:bojag3$1ed3ft$ snipped-for-privacy@ID-33576.news.uni-berlin.de:

I sympathise, mich, it sounds as though you live near me.

My black bag is stores in the foxproof shed so it can stink that out - the pompous posters ignore the kitchen waste which the cat refused, or the offcuts of gristle or chook bones, or the fat which will choke either my arteries or the drains; which can only go in the black bag.

The recyclable, mainly lager cans, but the occasional milk plastic bottle, stay outside the back door, looking ugly.

On the bright side, I only put out a black bag once a fortnight now, but it's still all a bluddy bind

mike r

Reply to
mike ring

We've got rationed bin bags and a green plastic box recycling scheme round here. I (single person) get exactly the same allowance of bin bags as next door (family of 2 adults + 2 kids), I barely get through a bag a week and most of that is the junk that comes through the front door and plastic bottles which they won't recycle. Our council does have a remarkable approach to recycling though, they appear to have a crack team who go around evenly distributing the contents of the green boxes all along the pavement and roadside so they don't have to pay too much to dispose of what they collect.

Reply to
James Hart

Some of the equipment we buy is covered by that scheme as well and as 'they' keep banning more and more of the chemical parts it will become very expensive in a few years time for the original manufacturers to take it all back and try and seperate out all the nasty contents. Up till now we just paid the council a few bob for use of their landfill and chucked it in. I'm guessing that things like cars, TVs and fridges will be covered by it soon as well.

Reply to
James Hart

Quite so. And once these materials become too expensive as new, then recycling makes sense.

This is irrelevant. The landfill tax has precious little to do with the environment.

[13 lines snipped]

Jesus. Who can be arsed with that sort of nonsense?

I do recycle all kitchen waste onto the compost heap. But then, I get the benefit from that.

Reply to
Huge

And I don't. Economics is information, providing all the externalities are figured in. And in the case of recycling, that information tells us that by-and-large recycling domestic refuse is a waste of time.

Reply to
Huge

Six weeks? Thought you said that they collected every 2... Ah I see they only take full sacks. Fing stupid! Done to reduce the cost of the bags no doubt, thats where a box scores it is reuseable and doesn't have to be full.

As this is uk.d-i-y perhaps you ought to ask about drainage systems. B-) A properly installed drain is pretty difficult to block with just ordinary kitchen waste. The normal culprits are fat, roots, nappies, female sanitary products or condoms none of which should be in a drain in the first place.

A bit more organic matter won't hurt, more food for the bugs. It will add to the sludge build up though but I doubt noticeably. Also on a septic tank.

I know the feeling, when I work it's a 60+hr week (ex travel) would be

70+ if I wanted it (I don't, 60 is *more* than enough).

Whoever is holding the purse strings, I suspect that will be the council. Re-cycling is a fairly high profile "good thing" for a council to be involved in, I would expect contact information about the scheme to be on their website, especially as it appears from your postings to be a new scheme. Is there no phone number printed on the bags?

On the whole it strikes me that the scheme has been setup to handle the volumes of waste from the 2+2 family and is not flexable enough to deal with the person living on their own(*) who lives on fresh real food and doesn't generate much waste. Forget about the scheme, either bung it all the black sack or take it to the recycling banks when you shop always assuming where you shop has some.

(*) Thats the impression your posts give, maybe incorrectly.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Hear, hear.

Accountants: Know the cost of everything, the value of nothing.

Even if it does cost more to recycle in makes far more sense to me to do that than dig stuff out of one hole, use it once and stuff it back into another. 'Cause that first hole will, not if, will, run dry at some point in the future. Hopefully before the first hole does run completely dry the pure economics will make the use recycled materials more viable.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Different plastic for a start, milk bottles are HDPE, fizzy drinks PET. At least a large proportion of plastic has a recycle logo and a number/abbreviation to tell you what it is.

I wish our recycling box took plastic, that makes up the bulk of black bag waste.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Ah but only putting back the CO2 the tree used to make the paper/card absorbed in the last 30 years or so. It is *not* the same as burning a fossil fuel such as oil or coal where you are putting back CO2 absorbed millions of years ago...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice