Recycling / binning old motherboards

I have a couple of dozen of these with all the important ICs CPUs etc removed.

They are junk to all intents and purposes.

What is the best way of getting rid of them?

Reply to
Fredxxx

Almost no value whatsoever - not even gold

Take em to the tip and chuck in the 'electronics' bin

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Well many tips have a place for old electronic items I understand. The problem for many is that most of the time they seem to only want things that look reasonable. Goodness knows what they do with them. I actually am using an old motherboard now.. grin. Brian

Reply to
Brian-Gaff

I was, but it went funny on me and died - sort of.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Dustbin.

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

Hmmm. I tool a smallish box of old motherboards and other PCBs to a recyclers and they gave me a cheque for 26 quid. Nearly twice as much as I got for a small trailer full of ally down the scrappy. May not be lot to some but we were going past the place after having a clearout. ;-)

They had box half full of old connectors, plugs and sockets. I asked if they were 'junk'. 'No' he said, '£200 a tonne'. ;-)

They offer a collection service but I'm not sure if there is a cost. A mate has used one of the cheapo couriers for some of his old computer gear and still makes a decent amount. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Your council's roadside blue box (or wherever you put things like toasters, etc).

Reply to
Tough Guy no. 1265

In message , Brian-Gaff writes

Ours seems happy to take things like mobos in boxes etc.

I assume they filter out anything that could be sold on (they have space were they sell on stuff like old doors, bikes, chairs etc.) and the rest goes off to where ever old electrical stuff gets sent.

Though we have a bin in the local town for small electrical items and I would I normally take such things there as i can chuck them in the car and wait till I am passing

Reply to
Chris French

Thanks, there are quite a few assorted PCBs as well. Phoned one local place that takes PCs and they were talking of charges for certificates and the like rather than the PCBs having any value!

AWA Refiners are unfortunately in Harlow so I doubt it will be cost effective to send anything there.

I'm reluctant at the local tip as I have permits and they are very hot on anything that looks slightly commercial.

Reply to
Fredxxx

This is England, we don't have blue boxes.

Reply to
Fredxxx

I guess a couple at a time might not be noticed :-)

Reply to
Fredxxx

They expect complete items, and I am reluctant to take this number of PCBs as I can guarantee they will question if this number represents household waste or something more commercial. The fines are such I don't want to find out.

Reply to
Fredxxx

Put them in a picture frame and sell them as modern art.

Reply to
alan_m

What do you do with for example a dead laptop or iron or personal stereo?

Reply to
Tough Guy no. 1265

Well, they can't be very big. Just shove the lot in.

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

Same as I do with dead desktops, lawn mowers, microwaves, toasters etc. Leave them by the front gate for the pikey scrap man.

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

Responsible people take electrical items to the local tip. They have a special bin for that stuff.

Reply to
Bod

here, you put them in a bag marked "Electricals" and leave it beside the recycling bin.

Reply to
charles

That says a lot about your area.

Reply to
Tough Guy no. 1265

Responsible councils collect from your door, like they do with paper, plastic, garden refuse etc.

If I have a LOT of stuff that isn't collected like that, eg scrap wood, I'll take it to the skip. Otherwise it goes in the landfill bin.

Reply to
Tough Guy no. 1265