Recycling

IMHO it tastes far worse than nothing

tim

Reply to
tim.....

What makes you think it's only marketing companies that use window envelopes? And WTF is a "marketing company" anyway?

And if they can't use window envelopes, what should they use instead? What should, say, a small theatre company use when sending a letter to its mailing list?

Reply to
Tim Streater

Then they should be whinging to their Districk Councillor to get the waste collection policy modified for such properties. That is what their DC is there for.

Reply to
Tim Streater

It shows as an income on the information sheet we get every time the Council Tax demands come around.

Whether or not it goes to the person who pays the most I cannot say. There are almost certainly other considerations, such as whether or not the LA thinks the bidder has the necessary resources to carry out the contract, that will affect the decision of who gets it.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

On Saturday 24 August 2013 11:12 Scott M wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Even the open pile (when I say "pile" it's actually the size of a small house!) at one of the bigger dumps round here bellows steam on a good day.

I suspect, but don;t know for sure, that food waster composters have to be enclosed and temperature monitored. An unenclosed pile like I saw obviously gets bloody hot inside, but the surface will still be cool (not hot enough to kill pathogens in the food waste). If it were enclosed in a covered concrete bunker or something, it would probably get really hot all the way through.

Hotter it gets, faster it composts so there is a win-back for the investment in the right environment - the local dumps here all have big piles of bagged compost made (somewhere else) from their green waste selling at a few quid a bag - and it's pretty nice stuff.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Produces a nice consistency for soup though

Reply to
stuart noble

Someone who sends out direct marketing garbage letters

sticky labels :-)

tim

Reply to
tim.....

you think that people in unsuitable properties haven't complained about the impracticability of storing the bins?

and do you think that it make a jot of difference to council policy?

tim

Reply to
tim.....

On the letter, visible through the window... ;-)

Seriously, though, a lot of small organisations don't have the resources to individually address each envelope to match the "personalised" letter inside.

Reply to
John Williamson
[snip]

Back when I first worked in Germany "recycling" consisted of leaving stuff on the pavement on Wednesday night. The students then rooted through it and took away what they wanted. Most of it would go, the rest was picked up by the bin men.

Then they introduced the fuckwitted recycling now used in the UK. We had to obsessively sort waste at home and in the office. After a few years it was announced that "recycling" had been so successful that giant piles of paper and glass that were banned from landfill were building up because there was no demand for these as raw materials. The solution was to export it to Belgium and bury it down mines. Legislation prevented this from being done in disused German mines. A stupid waste of fuel simply to evade legislation.

Reply to
Steve Firth

That's dogs descended from wolves who aren't averse to eating birds if they can grab one, right?

Reply to
Steve Firth

Not quite true. The A1M from Wakefield to the A19 was rebuilt using lots of "recycled" glass. It makes excellent ballast. Significant quantities of cullet are used as construction materials where it can replace sharp sand.

Reply to
Steve Firth

You're a larf a minute, you are. So instead of printing the letter and shoving it in a window envelope, you're expecting them to print sticky labels *as well* and ensure the right sticky gets affixed to the right envelope. All with volunteer staff, eh? Fuck that.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Right but they don't actually need clear plastic for the window do they?

Reply to
Tim Lamb

This is apparantly where our food waste goes.

All enclosed, and carefull monitored as you suggest.

Darren

Reply to
D.M.Chapman

polygonum

I was thinking of fresh air:-)

Reply to
Tim Lamb

I was also thinking about the various ways in which you can produce mailable items by folding and gluing. Still allows a single sheet to contain both the communication and the name/address.

Reply to
polygonum

On Saturday 24 August 2013 18:59 D.M.Chapman wrote in uk.d-i-y:

That is interesting...

Reply to
Tim Watts

None of which requires the glass to be separated by colour.

Reply to
alan