Recycling

And, lets say, decided to spread these generators all over the landscape?

Reply to
Huge

I thought that

but I think he meant the rule was referring to the plastic type

Reply to
tim.....

I *was* pointing out the hypocricy of the poster wanting to charge for his few seconds of time sorting rubbish at source at his consultancy rate, so setting what he considers a fair price for the job, while being perfectly happy for someone else to spend much more time sorting it later (A much less pleasant job) for the legal minimum wage.

Reply to
John Williamson

and try moving to 2 bed terraces

tim

Reply to
tim.....

Because the vast majority, if not all, fizzy drinks bottles are made from the same material. I've not looked, but I suspect that all the plastic bottles you buy in the supermarket, with the possible exception of milk bottles, which have a totally different "feel" when you pick them up, are made of the same material.

Reply to
John Williamson

On first reading, I wondered who was recycling glass heads ...

Yes, that makes sense. Both are highly pernicious weeds.

The former, usually referred to as Japanese Knotweed, is devastating. Its shoots can grow through concrete, tarmac, the foundations of a new house, etc. If you discover that a house you are thinking of buying has a JK problem, either avoid it altogether, or factor in thousands for attempting to eradicate it.

"It spreads through its crown, rhizome (underground stem) and stem segments, rather than its seeds. The weed can grow a metre in a month and can cause heave below concrete and tarmac, coming up through the resulting cracks and damaging buildings and roads. Studies have shown that a 1cm section of rhizome can produce a new plant in 10 days. Rhizome segments can remain dormant in soil for twenty years before producing new plants." ... "The Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981 states that it is an offence to "plant or otherwise cause to grow in the wild" any plant listed in Schedule nine, Part II of the Act. This lists over 30 plants including Japanese knotweed, giant hogweed and parrot's feather. The police are responsible for investigating this offence and each police force has a wildlife liaison officer who can be contacted."

Incidentally, I originally read that as bindweed, which is quite bad enough, and can make a crop almost impossible to combine, but is a different class of problem entirely .

Ragwort, like dandelions, is a member of the daisy family and spreads itself everywhere by wind-borne seeds. There are various sub-species of ragwort, and one of the most ubiquitous is Oxford ragwort, so-called because it escaped from an Oxford (botanic, IMS) garden onto a nearby railway line and thus quickly spread itself all over the country through its seeds being carried along the tracks in the slipstreams of trains. These days, motorways do it the same service.

The particular trouble with it is that it's poisonous to stock - it contains an alkaloid poison. Stock - either instinctively, or learn to - avoid it when it grows in a field, but if it gets in hay, or more commonly these days, silage, they can't see the distinctive yellow flowers, eat it, and may die as a result.

I always pick it now on any land that I own, and, over a few seasons, this will reduce its incidence to what has blown in the previous year. The best time to pull anything is usually before you first mow, and ragwort is no exception - like many similar weeds, before being mown, the plant grows straight and tall, and if you grab it firmly as low down as you can get, and pull with increasing force, most times the whole plant, including the tap-root, will come out; after being mown, the plant thinks it has been eaten and changes its growth pattern to hug the ground in the form of a rosette, and this makes it much more difficult to pull, though it can be done - you have to ensure that you've got the whole rosette.

Thistles behave similarly to this as well, which is unsurprising, as IMS they're all daisy family.

Daisy family pullings should preferably be burnt immediately, otherwise the plants will use the life left in the stems, etc, to flower and perhaps produce seed, and thereby may still manage to reproduce themselves!

Reply to
Java Jive

I agree

This problem isn't created by the recipient, it's created by the producer

I can see that there are some things that, for genuine health and safety reason, such as drug packaging, it can't be that simple. But where the only reason for doing something is producer convenience then the rule should be - "if it can't be recycled, you can't use it".

My biggest bugbear here is "window envelopes". If they can't be recycled (as many LA's claim) then marketing companies shouldn't be allowed to use them - simples. And I bet that they'd find a way of making then recyclable pretty damned quickly if that were the rule.

Having said that. When Germany introduced its rule about producers having to pay for the collection and disposal of packaging, TPTB expected that this would result in a reduction in the quantity of packaging used. But it didn't. The companies involved found that it was quicker and cheaper to just set up a scheme (Grüner Punkt) whereby they paid for the collection of all of the packaging material from domestic residents and recycled/dumped it in the normal way, than lose the advantages (whatever they are) of the packaging.

tim

Reply to
tim.....

On Saturday 24 August 2013 10:09 Scott M wrote in uk.d-i-y:

The "cooking" is usually done in a natural composter. Compost can get this hot in the right conditions - and the compost facilities that accept food waster have to provide the "right conditions" (and presumably recorded monitoring) rather than just lob it in a pile and turn it a couple of times with a bulldozer.

Reply to
Tim Watts

I'd not thought of that, makes sense. Just wherever I read it in one of the council pamphlets I came away gave the impression of being stuck in ovens and baked (which I wouldn't put past the average council and their kooki ideas.)

Reply to
Scott M

Unless I leave the little labels on the apples, how would they know where the apple came from?

Reply to
polygonum

I don't know about other areas, but around here, waste management companies bid for the right to make the collections. The LA certainly get an income from that and I presume the waste management companies make money from it too.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

If you want one, yes. Most people just stack black plastic bags on the pavement on collection days.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

That is true - I agree that most fizzy drink bottles seem to be PET. But there are lots and lots of other bottles and bottle-like containers. PE washing up liquid bottles. Fabric softener bottles made of something or other. PVC oil and vinegar bottles. Corn-starch derived water bottles. Multilayer polypropylene bottles for "health" drinks.

Reply to
polygonum

Are you sure that the bidding process is won by the person who pays the most, rather than the person who charges the least

tim

Reply to
tim.....

Overrated IMO. Yes, you get lots of gelatin, but that tastes of nothing. Easier to use the powdered stuff

Reply to
stuart noble

I leave it out with the recycling so they can collect it at the same time as the rest. If I take it to the tip it will cost them more to handle it and then take it to landfill.

Reply to
dennis

anaerobic digester? It can generate methane which you can burn to heat the stuff up. It may generate an excess of energy.

Reply to
dennis

DNA testing?

Reply to
dennis

Jesus H Christ but you're dumb. And you can't spell.

Reply to
Huge

As you wish.

Reply to