Recycling

In summer we put chicken carcasses in the freezer, then usually forget to take them out on collection day :-(

Reply to
stuart noble

don't you know anyone with dogs?

By the time we have eaten te chicken, boiled te carcase into chicken and sweetcormn soup, there isn't enough left for anything except doggy chews. They polish it off in minutes

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Another one of those spongers who want their lifestyle subsidised by everyone else, maybe you should change your nym to Hughagain!

Reply to
dennis

Of course it can be done - that's what happens to mine.

Reply to
Huge

It all goes for cullet, mostly to make glassfibre insulation.

Reply to
Huge

Illegal if you mean roadside storm drain, as with motor oil.

Not sure about foul sewer, but I suspect your Water Authority may have someth>

Reply to
Java Jive

I think that's the theory they're working on here, not only have they gone from 4 bins collected by 3 lorries to 2 bins collected by 2 lorries, they've also gone from fortnightly recycling to weekly recycling (keeping weekly rubbish too), they've then got to sort it, so they must see an upside to the new scheme ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

That's odd. Our council only moved over to a system of allowing food waste in with the garden waste at the end of May! It all goes for composting.

SteveW

Reply to
SteveW

They approximate figures are that the council gets paid about £15 for recyclables and has to pay about £60 for landfill (per tonne?). People like hugh that refuse to recycle are costing us money. They should pay more than those that recycle and not expect others to subsidise their idleness.

Reply to
dennis

Surely if he were to cut it up and put it in the waste plastics bin he'd have given it back to the council! ;)

SteveW

Reply to
SteveW

We were explicitly told (by a council person that our councillor arranged to come to talk to us) that we could either buy the compostable bags (first one free from the council) or wrap the stuff adequately in newspaper.

Simples.

Reply to
Tim Streater

The whole system is a shambles.

Reply to
Huge

It's a bloomin' nightmare for people if they move around - maybe staying in a holiday let, or looking after a relative's house. Some of the differences are towards the subtle end of the spectrum and so very, very easy to get wrong. We have already had two eight-page leaflets and we will probably get more before or at implementation. That is quite a lot to take in before you chuck something in the bin. The "rules" here seem to insist that any mistake results in receptacles not being emptied.

Reply to
polygonum

I didn't think it was a good idea to give dogs poultry bones as they splinter rather than crack into lumps like mammal bones.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Make a small hole in the bottom of the tin then store it upside down. Park in a layby and fix the tin under the vehicle the right way up. Draw a line on the road for miles. It's really good fun. It's best done at night.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

I've been saving my aerosols for two years now, and I have a big sackful. I plan to throw it on the fire at my bonfire party.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Is there any income? Doesn't the whole of the domestic recycling industry work by making it cheaper for councils (or their outsourced contractors) to drive your rubbish maybe hundreds of miles to a recycling plant rather than pay the landfill tax? At the end of the day YOU are paying hundreds extra in your council tax because the government made the cost of disposing of domestic rubbish artificially high with the landfill tax.

Reply to
alan

The ones still full of propane work better on a bonfire.

Reply to
alan

Blister packs.

Reply to
polygonum

About 3 years ago the council said that we could recycle yoghurt pot but not polystyrene. At that time the pots I had were labelled PS! Still, I have been told by more than one person that pots, rigid boxes etc, aren't PS because PS is white and crumbly.

Reply to
PeterC