Recycled plastic wood-substitute

I'm told that the wooden walkways in Wicken Fen have been replaced with ones made of recycled plastic (wood sitting in a fen nature reserve doesn't last terribly well; I think the plastic will take a lot longer to rot). It's black, it's plastic and comes in similar sizes to planking and studding, but I don't know much else about it, and I'd like to get hold of some to experiment with.

Does anyone have any idea what it might be/where to get it?

Reply to
Jón Fairbairn

I have seen stuff that is essentially a composite made out of more than one type of recycled plastic extruded together to make "timber". I don't know what its called or who is making it.

Reply to
dennis

In message , Jón Fairbairn writes

Marmax it seems:

Though I could quickly see that they seell boards etc by themselves.

But there are other supppliers e.g. :

Reply to
chris French

Maybe

dennis

In message , chris French writes

Reply to
chris French

Also used near Grange at the south end of Derwentwater for a walkway. The National Trust were responsible for the walk - so ringing up the local office might produce the supplier's name.

Reply to
robert

Might be similar to the composite decking on the market.

(last 2)

My local DIY shop sells their stuff so it should be easy to get hold of.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Sigh?

Reply to
Steve Firth

Looking at the website referenced by Chris it seems incredibly heavy stuff compared to wood. I also wonder about UV stability. If I can get around to it I'll call them to ask, it may be useful for me since I want to make some walkways in Italy in particular leading down into the woods at the extremity of my land which have large boggy areas between trees.

Reply to
Steve Firth

We've used this

give access to a piece of open space and it seems successful, it is less slippery than wet wood and no need to staple chicken wire to it, Life is expected to be over 25 years.

The volunteers are constructing a fresh piece alongside a canal and this has been obtained from a cheaper manufacturer whose name isn't to hand.

AJH

Reply to
andrew

Excellent! Not sure why I didn't think of a search that would turn that up, but so it goes.

Thanks to everyone else for their responses too.

Reply to
Jón Fairbairn

Hi,

The material you have in mind is recycled plastic lumber and its manufactured from waste plastic. It is widealy available, check out

Best Kath

Reply to
klorekwallace