Recycle/dispose problems

Plus 1 to 2:

Reply to
Mr Pounder

+2, except that it is not as scary as some people say. When you use a CO2 fire extinguisher you need a pretty good flow, and the cylinder does not get all that cold.

Or look for someone who does MIG welding, who might be very happy to take it off your hands.

Reply to
newshound

+1
Reply to
newshound

Mr Murphy would prefer a 70%/30% Nitrogen Co2 mix.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

I'd try and have some fun burning it - though I'd be very careful while doing so.

Reply to
Clive George

Closest I got was "petroleum ester" formly "petroleum sprit". I suspect something similar to lighter fuel.

Trying not to do a Bruncefield in the process. B-)

Small amounts over an extended period of time and away from drains cellars etc as I supect the vapour will be heavier than air.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Sounds intriguing - what's that do?

Reply to
Tim Watts

If I were to do this I'd empty it into a drum of sand or sawdust in an open area and let it evaporate from there. This should allow a slightly more controlled disposal. When I worked for the Medical Research Council this is how waste solvent was disposed of (several gallons at a time).

I wouldn't advise smoking whilst doing this...

Cheers

Mark

Reply to
Ferretygubbins

On 30/09/2014 15:22, Tim Watts wrote: ...

I recall having a 30kg CO2 extinguisher demonstrated to a group of us in a Fire Station. With the doors closed, it filled the three (empty) engine bays with fog to knee height.

Reply to
Nightjar

£343 for 25 litres!
Reply to
Geo

Ask the local pyromaniac if he wants to have a play?

Set fire to the petrol stuff, put it out with the CO2, repeat until it's all gone.

Reply to
Gazz

Give it all to the local Eastern europeans they'll sell it as Vodka or something similar. ;-)

Reply to
whisky-dave

Nothing too interesting . Kegs of Guinness in Great Britain used to have a separate compartment which supplied that gas mixture as it helps in the forming the dense head when the liquid is forced through some small holes in the tap nozzle. Then Murphys Stout was imported which also required the same gas mixture for the same reason. This used ordinary kegs so the premises that sold it had to start stocking cylinders and be equipped with regulators for the 70/30 mix .An unfortunate knock on effect from that was once such supplies were in place the Marketing Men had another Gimmick to promote something new and we got a rash of IMHO undrinkable abominations of bitters dispensed the same way sold with nitrogenated heads , Eg Boddingtons Keg, John Smiths Extra Smooth,Worthington Creamflow etc. Then there was that strange hybrid Caffreys which also used the mixture. In a way these did some good in being so awful that they just about pushed the shrinking keg bitter market into a state of terminal decline and allowed decent cask beer from smaller producers to have a resurgence .

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

more than 20years