Recycle/dispose problems

I am in the process of clearing out our "pig sty" (it was one many years ago). It has been used by 3 hoarders including myself over several decades. I have unearthed two items which nobody seems prepared to take from me:-

i) CO2 cylinder. 5ft long job labelled distillers company! It is not empty.

ii) a 25litre drum containing some variety of petroleum spirit. The area was once used for painting/spraying and much car maintenance.

The local authority don't want to know. They suggested local scrappies who are equally reluctant. Diageo are incommunicado.

Any suggestions gladly considered. Frank

Reply to
WhinYett

Can you empty it in a controlled fashion?

If so, try the scrappies again, showing them the valve open.

Local dump usually has a section for this. if not, try a different "local" dump (ie next town).

Reply to
Tim Watts

Empty it somewhere safely and cut it up.

any waste engine oil place near you?

Is there no label?

Reply to
dennis

I could take the spirit if you're in this area - where are you?

NT

Reply to
meow2222

East Lothian?

Reply to
WhinYett

  1. Wait 'til midnight, then go and park on a layby where there's a gulley cover. Pour the spirit down the gulley. Wait five minutes. Start your engine. Reach out of the car window and drop a match down the gulley. Drive away very quickly.
  2. Bottle it, copy some Vodka labels and stick them on, sell it to the local Pakistani off licence.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Lots!

AnalaR, Prod 10179 ER, UN 1271` Petroleum Spirit

Cannot find those specific items numbers near them are Petroleum Spirit things.

Frank

Reply to
WhinYett

The CO2 would be useful for anyone with a MIG welder, I'd take it if you were near North Yorkshire.

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike

It has its valve so I guess so. Any hazards? Frank

Reply to
WhinYett

CO2 - frostbite and asphyxiation. It is heavier than air and will accumulate in pits etc.

Perhaps the petroleum spirit might be of use to anyone building a big bonfire in November?

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Without a regulator, it will come out like billy-o.

The cylinder will get damn cold too whilst it's loosing gas - enough to burn.

And of course under no circumstances do this in a confined space or in a hole or depression in the ground of any sort (CO2 being heavier than air, it will pool).

If you want to make the exercise safer, borrow a regulator and discharge it through that - more control.

Having said all that, if it were me, I'd get a bottle spanner, wrap the cylinder in a thick towel to hold it by lying on its side and just tweak the valve open a tad, making sure the gas jet cannot hit you (it will get cold fast).

I'd try to get it hissing gently then just leave it outside for as long as it takes.

Once it's stops hissing, crack the valve open *slowly* just in case there's some left but it's managed to freeze itself shut (unlikely but Mr Murphy will always be hanging around on these occasions).

Reply to
Tim Watts

Ah. Not to worry.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

I still doubt that they'll take it. I couldn't get rid of a thick aluminium cylinder with the valve removed as the smelters don't like anything that can trap any air. Seems daft but that's what I was told. Only way is to cut it in half first.

As others have said, local welders might find a use for it.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

This is the current version of that product:

The fact that it has the UN number 1271, which is no longer used, rather than UN 1268 suggests that it is quite old.

Reply to
Nightjar

Ask the local pub, unless they only do real ale. It sounds like the cylinders I used to have in a bar, for pressurising kegs of fizzy lager.

Reply to
Nightjar

UN1271 is essentially 'petrol'

tip it out and let it evaporate then scrap the empty container

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

well dont inhale it in a closed room. been there done that. At a brewery

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

too dangerous

Reply to