recovering textured wallpaper (anaglypta style)

hi-

I have some existing textured wallpaper/anaglypta covered in white gloss between skirting and dado rail and need to replace it with new textured wallpaper again to be covered in white gloss (because unfortunately I cannot get the original pattern which I need for some new areas).

I've bought a 6" wallpaper stripper tool from B&Q which I thought I could use to strip the old textured wallpaper. However, all I have managed to do is to scrape of the reliefed patterns, leaving the wall smooth, but still glossy apart from where the patterns were.

Would I be able to simply paste the new textured wallpaper on this smooth wall? I'm concerned that pasting over a predominantly glossed surface might make things not stick. However, if I could, it would make things much simpler.

Does anyone have any experience of this?

Thanks

Reply to
Jim

Did you wet it after scraping through the gloss? Soapy water - or wallpaper stripper should soften the remaining stuff by soaking in and softening the paper.

Reply to
John

No- I haven't yet - but if I don't need to, then I won't bother : I'm not bothered about the increase in wall thickness - it's whether the new paper will stick well onto predominantly glossed paint....

Reply to
Jim

Why not hang a strip and see what happens?

Reply to
John Rumm

I know some textured papers will peel off, leaving a flat paper layer behind for repapering. Whether yours is like that I've no idea. If you let water soak in you'll quickly know.

If for some reason youre determined to not peel it, mixing 1% boiled linseed oil in the glue increases the amount of things it'll stick to

- but seriously, peel the paper off.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

If you do decide to do it, you can get extra strong all purpose wallpaper adhesive, or you could try the stuff intended to stick vinyl to vinyl. Some of these will leave a sheen if not wiped off the surface/joins, but that won't matter if you're painting it anyway. | One thing might be if the new stuff is actually a paper which would allow any paste to dry through thoroughly before you paint it. Also depends on whether it's a bathroom where steam/humidity might result in the paper coming unstuck at the seams. I used ordinary paste to stick woodchip to old glossy (not full gloss vinyl) paint on a bathroom ceiling, then vinyl painting it, and it stayed there for two decades (then was delightfully easy to remove) Replacing it by using ordinary paste on a stiffer textured paper then painting it wasn't so successful. The seams started to rise and I had to stick them down with strong repair adhesive which has left a sheen and needs repainting.

Toom

Reply to
Toom Tabard