Recovering fire surround

I have a fire surround similar to this one in the current Argos catalogue - 417/2855.

I wish to change the colour of the (in this example) cream back panel as it no longer suits our decorated lounge (so I'm told).

Apart from replacing it or painting it, which I'm not convinced will look particularly good, I wondered if I could get something similar to the polyester/vinyl window film that you can get from siters such as

I don't think it would need to be fire-retardant, as the back panel around the fire place does not get hot at all.

Does anyone have any experience of attempting something like this?

TIA

Reply to
DartGuru

You can buy those back panels at B&Q etc (would need to confirm sizes of course) - they sell the fires, mantelpieces, hearths and back panels on a mix-and-match basis IIRC.

David

Reply to
Lobster

Wallpaper it with washable vinyl

Reply to
George

I have thought about doing that, but would rather avoid having to part- dismantle the fireplace to do it, and I want it in a particular colour

Reply to
DartGuru