Reconnecting porch light - dead easy question

There's a block with four terminals. One is earth. One is the red live feed. One has two black wires. One has one black wire.

The earth and the live feed are obvious.

I assume that I ignore the black terminal with two wires and connect the lamp's neutral wire to the terminal with the single black wire?

Is it normal to switch the neutral, rather than the live wire?

Or have I got this totally wrong?

There's only one switch BTW.

Reply to
GB

Forget that - it must be wrong. I was squinting at the connecting block from a distance. I'll get up on a ladder with a multimeter and see what's actually there.

Reply to
GB

All done - I couldn't see the red sleeving from ground level.

Reply to
GB

:-)

Reply to
ARWadsworth

I often find it's on the wrong wire - never trust it.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

You are lucky if you can find it!

Reply to
ARWadsworth

It's usually on the floor when I've finished...

Really, it's sufficiently frequently on the wrong wire that it would be better if it wasn't ever used.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel