reconnecting mains supply

I have a flat in the block owned by Barnet Council - I am a leaseholder. Recently, there was a failure of the electrical rising mains within the block, and the council are in the process of renewing that completely.

They have written to me to say that, as my flat is not compliant with current electrical safety regulations, UK Power Networks will not reconnect properties to the new mains supply. Is that correct, or is this just a case of Barnet Council gold plating the regulations?

My flat was tested some years ago, but I am not sure whether I can find the certificate. I believe that it is safe, but I am fairly sure that it is not to current standards, as these keep changing.

In any case, would UK Power Networks be involved in reconnecting my particular flat? Surely, they just supply the power to the block?

Reply to
GB

I tend to feel that whilst their statement may well be true but I don't think there is any requirement to make it comply with the latest regs provided it did and still does comply with the regulations in force when it was installed. With a bit of research you should be able to date the installation and quote the relevant edition of the regs back at them and see what they say. If you installation has deteriorated with age however and so no longer complies, then you will have to do some improvements and finding a sparky to just bring it up to older regs will possibly be very difficult.

Maybe this is one for Adam to give pragmatic advice on?

good luck

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

That would be stupid surely, I mean if every time a mains cable failed the company went around specifying all properties should now b be compliant with current regs, not may houses or flats would have electricity. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

It's not correct. The installation should be reconnected unless it's unsafe. If it conforms to wiring regs in force at the time it was last rewired (or built), and that's anything from around 14th edition regs onwards (1966), then there should be no problem even though it's not to current standards. There's no requirement for a pre-existing installation to conform to current regs.

If they want a new test certificate, they'll have to reconnect the supply first, as it's needed to perform the testing.

They are probably responsible for "suppliers works" in the block too, i.e. everything up to and including your meter, either because they own it, or because it's been subcontracted by Barnett Council.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Mr Gabriel has already answered the question. I suspect that the electricity co is considering this as a new connection and not as a repair/replacement.

And the computer says "NO"

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Surely the flat only has to comply with the The Electricity Safety, Quality and Continuity Regulations and not the IEE Regulations?

24.=97(1) A distributor or meter operator shall ensure that each item of his equipment which is on a consumer=92s premises but which is not under the control of the consumer (whether forming part of the consumer=92s installation or not) is=97 [snipped]

(5) In this regulation the expression =93new connection=94 means the first electric line, or the replacement of an existing electric line, to one or more consumer=92s installations.

and

25.=97(2) A distributor shall not give his consent to the making or altering of the connection referred to in paragraph (1), where he has reasonable grounds for believing that=97

(a) the consumer=92s installation, street electrical fixture or other distributor=92s network fails to comply with British Standard Requirements or these Regulations; OR

(b) the connection itself will not be so constructed, installed, protected and used or arranged for use, so as to prevent as far as is reasonably practicable, danger or interruption of supply.

might not be the latest version of the Regulations)

Any dispute is between you and UK Power Networks with appeal to the Secretary of State.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

That sounds like a lot of work:-(

Maybe a new CU only supplying one RCD protected 2g socket is all that is needed if the OP only needs reconnection. He then moves things around after the reconnection to supply the old fuse box.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

As an add-on thought...

What I might do in this case is to get the earthing and service bonding up to current regs, before having them around to reconnect the service. That should be quick, cheap, and easy to do.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Thanks for all the advice, folks. I have asked Barnet Council for a copy of the notice from UK Power Networks, so I'll have to wait to see whether they produce anything or whether the council has just been told something by their own contractor.

What, by the way, is a PME supply?

Reply to
GB

In message , GB writes

Google?

Basically, where earth and neutral are combined at the supply point. AFAIK it requires heavier earth cabling within the consumers side of the installation.

An expert will be along shortly to put me right:-)

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

We have a Wiki:-)

Basically, where earth and neutral are combined at the supply point.

If the installation of the main equipotential bonding is very difficult or expensive (repaires to walls etc) it may be possible to use a PME supply as a TT supply and reuse any existing main bonding. It will still cost you.

I know people who have done that.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

See my other reply about using a PME cutout as a TT supply.

Reply to
ARWadsworth