Recommended screw ?

Hi. I will be fixing 22mm kronospan to heavy joists this weekend. I hate using the countersink bit so I want to try the self countersinking screws. What size and brand should I look for?

Thanks.

Arthur

Reply to
Arthur 51

Which kronospan product? If its chipboard, vanilla 2" countersunk screws will countersink themselves no problem.

NT

Reply to
NT

You need - IMO a screw three times the thickness of the material, so 66mm -

60mm in practice. I'd go for 4mm.

You simply cannot beat Screwfix Turbo Gold IMO.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Thanks. I found some 70mm x 4mm 'R2..' things at the local timber yard which worked easy peasy.

Arthur

Reply to
Arthur51

Which kronospan product? If its chipboard, vanilla 2" countersunk screws will countersink themselves no problem.

I would not use standard wood screws on anything .... technology has evolved.

If it is chipboard then standard Goldscrews will self countersink. They will also drive in a lot easier.

Length should be 3 x thickness of material ... 65mm long or 70mm

so good choice would be 5 x 70

i.e: something like this from Screwfix product 16221

?_dyncharset=UTF-8&fh_search=16221if material is a bit harder than chipboard the use self countersinking heads .. screwfix 52972
?_dyncharset=UTF-8&fh_search=52972

Reply to
Rick Hughes

genews:oWKvn.224980$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe10.ams...

I dont think I've ever seen chp floor held down with 3" screws, but theyll work ok. Will just be more work to do.

NT

Reply to
NT

ditto, I was thinking PB screws. Really any pointy coarse screw will work though.

NT

Reply to
NT