Recommended glue for shoes

I've never had much success with bonding leather to rubber/plastic soles of shoes. Is there any glue or method anyone here can recommend? What do the professionals use?

Reply to
Fred

A solvent based polyurethane contact. It's the bees bollocks.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Many thanks - are there any trade-names I should be going for. Where do you think I'll be able to get this?

Reply to
Fred

Evostik Serious glue. Seen some two part stuff recently in the sheds too.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Evostik, then clamp for 24 hours. Works best on larger areas such as the upper coming away from the heel or sole.

Reply to
Handy

I tried this stuff on leather, and from that experience I wouldnt give it a hope in hell of holding shoes together. You really need the hot pressed stuff the pros use as a minimum, and even that doesnt last well in the long run. Its not really a diy job, I'd either take it to the cobbler or preferably chuck them.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Many thanks.

I just did a search on "Bostik Serious glue" and I got this

where it says

"On 15 August 2006, Bostik launched a major product recall after concern over safety, following a Daily Mail newspaper investigation of its Evo-stik product 'Serious Glue'. This included claims that is was not a strong glue and that the product description was misleading."

What is this 2 part stuff?

Reply to
Fred

EvoStick Impact. Thin film of glue on both parts leave to dry for a few minutes place together, making sure the parts are in the right place, then clamp or hammer together.

The new to market "Serious Glue" is interesting stuff, remains flexable like Impact and does seem to stick most things to most things. But without the odour of Impact.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Solvent polyurethanes, like "Shoe Goo" or "Barge Cement". Hard to find and the easiest way always used to be to buy a pair of Woolies stick-on rubber soles that included a tube.

Evo-stik 528 is about the best they do for leather, but it's not up to shoes unless it's an easy joint to make and you can clamp it whilst curing.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Oh? I have had pretty good results from various smelly gooops..UHU do some brands.

Puncture repair stuff works at a pinch.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

What whiffy goops have you been using? I suppose it does also depend whether one is gluing leather to leather or whether synthetics are involved.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Dunno..I think one was UHU..at least..pretty much similar to an Evostik of the solvent sort.

The trick with those is to not let them dry completely before you clamp..then the glue moves a bit and fills the gaps..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

ok cheers, I'll try again next time, maybe will get somewhere.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Woolworths have been selling "Stick-a-Soles" for many years, and still do. That probably means that their glue works alright. I think that you can buy the glue only, now.

Sylvain.

Reply to
Sylvain VAN DER WALDE

1 part polyurethane (you can get it from screwfix) sticks an awful lot of things. Even split trainer soles, I'm told.
Reply to
John Stumbles

Many thanks.

The only "polurethane glue"s I can find on Screwfix are

63109 D4 Polyurethane Wood Glue 79242 D4 Polyurethane Wood Glue 750g Light Brown 40778 EvoStik Polyurethane Wood Adhesive 310ml

which are just wood glues. Is there another I'm missing?

Reply to
Fred

Needs to be a solvent polyurethane. The isocyanate ones (the rigid foamy wood glues) are no use at all. I've not seen anything suitable from Screwfix (but haven't searched in detail)

Reply to
Andy Dingley

You're probably right about Screwfix. Where might one get solvent polyu from ?

Reply to
John Stumbles