recommended dust masks

Can anyone suggest a good dust mask that does not cause my spectacles to mist up please? I'm in the middle of decorating the lounge and have had to visit the doctor with a chest problem (altogether now ah!), he has told me to wear a mask when creating dust, by sanding repairing plaster etc.. Or anyway to stop the spectacle of my spectacles misting?

Reply to
Broadback

I cannot help with the mask but my solution is to put a small drop of washing up liquid on a tissue and wipe this over the inside of the lens. Give it a few moments and polish it off with a tissue. If you 'huff' on your glasses they should not now mist. To clean it off just run under a warm water tap and dry. This may make a small amount of dust stick to the glasses so make sure you rinse them thoroughly before drying.

Trevor

Reply to
Trevor

I have one like this:

Nothing should come out near the eyes if it's properly sealed to your face. It's a bit awakward with specs though, since the mask sits quite high on one's nose. It can be done.

Reply to
Jon Fairbairn

I use one of these:

plus, for the eyes and face:

(or similar - not sure if mine is that exact model or not).

Have always worn glasses, so have always had the misting problems - and this (wearing both the above) is the first time I have felt both comfortable and reasonably well protected.

Reply to
Rod

In article , Broadback writes

A mask with an exhaust valve will be better, the moist air you breathe out will be more likely to go out the front rather than escape upwards, past your nose to steam up your glasses. A good soft wire nose bridge that will shape to your nose will help to.

I've used 3M 9312 (P1 - nuisance dust) masks in the past and liked them:

like I've got these now:
which being P3 (fine toxic dust) are a bit over the top for you also they're not as good as the 3M as the bridge doesn't mould well to the nose and the valve requires a bit of pressure before blowing off. I paid about half the price shown.

Toolstation seem to have valved ones a bit cheaper:

fred

These are very good as well:

?ts=61257I don't have any difficulty with them steaming up the specs. They give a good seal onto the face without leaks.

Reply to
John Rumm

I have the same problem. I wear mostly three masks:

The 3M "paper" disposable P1, as mentioned

cheerful, wire frame fits your nose and under your glasses. Has the essential exhale valve.

3M silicone half-mask with replaceable filters, for most chemicals. Silicone is so much nicer than rubbber. Works under a faceshield too (I rarely wear goggles).

Mil-surplus Avon S10 mask (standard Brit army kit) if I need gas-proof eye protection. Works fine with glasses (although strictly shouldn't for NBC use). Filter thread is standard and parts are cheap and easy to replace.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

?ts=61257>> I don't have any difficulty with them steaming up the specs. They

....and these are the only kind I have found to work with a beard. (There was method in the RAF not allowing air crew to have more than a moustache!)

Reply to
neverwas

Thanks for your help, I have now purchased a few disposable 3Ms from a local supplier. More expensive than on line, but the postage costs have got a little silly, puts the price up too much unless you make a large order.

Reply to
Broadback