Recommendations - ISPs for ISDN? (sort-of relevant to DIY)

Page 2 of 4

Demon don't have any 0808 numbers, all of their numbers are 0845 or 0844 (Surftime).

snipped-for-privacy@isbd.co.uk wrote:

yes you are right - did not feel right when I typed it ;-)
(you can see its been a while since I used dial-up ;-))
--
Cheers,

John.

Don't use those.

Do use those.

Dave wrote:

No that sounds about right.... you can't do the bandwidth allocation on demand trick using surf(any)time either - so if you have an ISDN router you need to go to the hassle of reprogramming each time to switch between unmetered 64K and paid for 128K.
--
Cheers,

John.

Er... Yes you can.
You need the right account with Demon - Super Showroom. then you can have 64K or 128K 24/7 for a fixed amount. (23 to BT for the line, 25 to BT for Surftime/Anytime and some huge amount to Demon for the service)
CyberCafe up the road from me has that as a backup system to their main 2Mb feed. I set it up for them (Zyxel router) and it does BOD as it needs to. (We use the ISDN for other things to like outgoing email, but thats another story)
Gordon

I think it's 60/month to Demon.

Gordon Henderson wrote:

Yup - sorry was thinking "premier connect plus" - I was forgetting their business ISDN offerings.
I used to use PCP + Surf anytime - and damn expensive it was too!
--
Cheers,

John.

... plus of course *two* 0845 calls at the same time for 128k ISDN. This is why I have just left Demon after being with them since soon after they started up. Paying 10/month *plus* 0845 call charges makes them distinctly expensive and also reduces one of the advantages of ISDN which is the fast call setup time.
An unmetered ISDN connection means that you can have what feels almost like an 'always on' connection and don't need to worry about how many times you disconnect and reconnect. With an 0845 number it costs you 5p (or thereabouts) every time you bring up the connection even if it's only for a few seconds. If you compensate by setting the idle time quite long then you're wasting 'contention bandwidth' and your ISP is likely to have to charge you more.

snipped-for-privacy@isbd.co.uk writes:

Well, yes. You're using two phone lines.
[5 lines snipped]

I have no choice where I live. ISDN is as good as it's likely to get.

... but if it's unmetered you don't care.

Exactly my situation too.

Huge wrote:

Not on freetime numbers it isn't.
Costs more than that.

"Grunff" wrote | Dave wrote: | > We've given up on getting ADSL so my company is paying for ISDN; now | > the family want me to find an unmetered ISP for their use that can | > offer 128k ISDN for a reasonable monthly charge - any suggestions? | IME only one worth considering - Clara | <http://www.uk.clara.net/claraaccess/isdn/
Clara are generally very good but their news server tends to die or run like treacle about 9pm weekday evenings.
Owain
Grunff wrote:

Mmm. I am tempted to switch as well. Clara are pretty good, and I know themn a bit personally.

Dave wrote:

I have a shed-load of Lucent/Ascend Pipeline 75s still in shrink-wrapped boxes and I'm wondering what to do with them as not that many people are interested in ISDN anymore.
http://www.dcmgroup.com/downloads/Pipeline%2075_Brochure_datasheet.pdf
Let me know if you're interested...
RM
--
unlocking Nokia and SonyEricsson phones in the Edinburgh area
email: reestit_mutton AT lauriem DOT plus DOT com

Unfortunately it doesn't appear to support VPN and I need this for the "work breaks".
Dave S
Dave wrote:

I used to use an Eicon Diva 1830 ISDN router - pretty sure you can run VPN over that. Currently sitting on a shelf gathering dust. Drop me an email if you want to make me an offer ;-)
--
Cheers,

John.

Dave
Don't sign up for ISDN this late in the day. How does your exchange look like on www.adslguide.org.uk?
When BT finally enabled my exchange and the engineer came to hook it all up, he commented how many ISDN boxes there were lying around in skips these days.
Comparing ISDN to ADSL, it is worth the wait.
Colin M
Colin M wrote:

What that doesn't tell you iif you can have it or not, even if your exchange is enabled. Our exchange is, but even though its less than a mile, as the crow files, its 3 miles plus as the cable goes....So over a mile too far for even the slowest ADSL. Still we do have National Thieves Limited and their "broad-band" (which isn't really so I'm told) in the area.
Niel, one of many radio hams whose repeaters had to move following demands of "commercial rates" by NTL when they took over the "management" of many transmitter sites in the UK.
On Sun, 23 Nov 2003 21:42:48 +0000, snipped-for-privacy@lineone.net wrote:

How long ago was that? I *thought* that ADSL could now work out to the same distance as ISDN, around 6.5km cable length or 4 miles.
--
Cheers snipped-for-privacy@howhill.com
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

There's Rate Adaptive DSL which will give a 512k outbound service. This will run on longer lengths than the straight DSL, but the distances are a guide. The acid test is the line loss.....
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl