Recommendations - ISPs for ISDN? (sort-of relevant to DIY)

Page 1 of 4
We've given up on getting ADSL so my company is paying for ISDN; now the family want me to find an unmetered ISP for their use that can offer 128k ISDN for a reasonable monthly charge - any suggestions?
I also need to get the home network sorted (the DIY relevant bit) so need a router and WAP. The Vigor 2600W has ISDN and an 802.11b WAP but it's pricey, can anyone suggest an ISDN router that supports VPN (for the work related access)?
Dave S
Dave wrote:

IME only one worth considering - Clara <http://www.uk.clara.net/claraaccess/isdn/

<http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/specpage.html?DLI-632306 + an access point of your choice.
--
Grunff

I'd imagine Demon Super Showroom is in the same leage as Clara's offering. Whether the OP finds either of these to have reasonable monthly charges is perhaps another matter though.
--
Dave Cunningham dave at upsilon org uk
PGP KEY ID: 0xA78636DC
dave cunningham wrote:

I don't personally use Demon, but know at least 3 different people who've had connectivity problems over the past year.
They used to be great - I used to use them about 5 years ago. But I'm not so sure that this is still the case.
--
Grunff

I don't have any problems with them, I've been with them for about that time and can't say the service has got any worse.
--
David

... but if you're on SDU it's costing you 11.75/monthi for something that just about everyone else is offering for free. For that sort of amount many ISPs will offer you unmetered connectivity.

snipped-for-privacy@isbd.co.uk writes

Having set a few of my neighbours and family up with free accounts and listened to their various comments I'm happy to pay for what I consider to be a good reliable service, by unmetered do you mean unlimited connectivity as in for as long as you want as often as you want? bearing in mind I still connect by modem but am going ISDN next week
--
David

David wrote:

Do you *really* want more than 200 or 300 hours per month? If so then you're going to have to pay quite a lot. If on the other hand something like 10 hours per day is enough then there are *lots* of much cheaper 'unmetered' alternatives to Demon.

On Tue, 25 Nov 2003 08:23:35 +0000, David wrote:

Demon have had ups and downs but generally if they do get a down they work hard at getting back up. The last majr problems where the delays in mail between the punts and mailstore in the last couple of months. Caused by increased demand (I read that to mean spam/virus generated rubbish) being faster than anticpated but that's been resolved now.
A Demon Internet Founder Member and still with Demon.
--
Cheers snipped-for-privacy@howhill.com
Dave. pam is missing e-mail
Dave Liquorice wrote:

Ah, a DIFM rather than just DIM I see.
Demon is cheap, and the service quality reflects that, and always has. Its about the cheapest unlimited ISDN dial up option out there.
Apart from that, its as crap as you would expect. I know, I use it :-)

How about FreeServe and AOL, I don't think either of them impose usage limits and they are a whole lot cheaper than Demon. I'm assuming by 'unlimited' you mean really unlimited as in no monthly hours limit.
If you mean unlimited as in 'unmetered' but with a limit on the total number of hours/month then there are dozens of alternatives to Demon.
Demon is expensive for just about any sort of usage except possibly somewhere over 10 hours/day. 300 hours/month packages can be found for far less than Demon + Surftime costs.

snipped-for-privacy@isbd.co.uk wrote:

My God! FS and AOL!! Why even bother? Just use some string or something.
--
Grunff

Both of them are actually very reliable if you use them just as an ISP. I've used FreeServe Anytime for several years as my basic 64k ISDN connection and it's been very, very reliable. (and way, way cheaper than using a Demon dial-up even if Demon is just as good).
I haven't personally used AOL but a lot of people recommend it too for conectivity. It has one major advantage that its numbers are real 0800 numbers, not 0808 FRIACO numbers so non BT people can use AOL.

snipped-for-privacy@isbd.co.uk wrote:

AOL will be a non starter in this case - the OP mentioned wanting to use a VPN. Generally you can't run a VPN over an AOL link since it itself already sets up a VPN for connecting between the AOL client and their servers (neatly bypassing the hardware firewall built into your router in many cases!!).
--
Cheers,

John.

Grunff wrote:

They are averagely OK at teh moment. That is mostly you get connected, most;y the peering links are over stressed during teh working day, and outagse of 30 seconds or more are not uncommon. I used to play online games, and have been 'killed' more by demon than by other players. Adds to the spice.
Demon works, and if you want that fixed IP address its not bad. I am sure others are better. When I went for them they were the only one apart from Pipex to have BT anytime numbers, if clara now do, they are probably a better bet.
I can't rem,ember wheher teh Ascend routers someone was offering do NAT. You will need a NSAT capable touter IMHO, and built in hub is neater.

We've used Demon for analogue dial-up for many years, unfortunately they only offer 64k ISDN with surftime. The 128k offering is 60/month - a bit too steep for home use.
Dave S

Demon supports ISDN - indeed that's why you're reading this. They also support channel bonding to give 128Kb. All on the standard 10/month dialup.
writes:

...but are you paying 1 or 2p/minute for the connection time?
Demon told me yesterday that they will provide 128k at the normal connection charge rates but only 64k with BT surftime. ...did I get a duff salesgirl?
Dave S

No. It's all on surftime. Both channels are the same number, after all...

Probably. I must admit that I don't do channel bonding because the equipment at my end doesn't support it, but I am absolutely convinced that Demon allow it, because it's one of the oh-so-many things on my "To Do" list.
Huge wrote:

They do allow channel bonding - but not on the 0808 numbers (at least a year ago or so when I last used ISDN). You can do it on the 0845 numbers and also (as Grodon points out above) with the business oriented packages like showroom.
--
Cheers,

John.