Recommendations for small gas combi ?

Looking to spec. a small ( physically and output) wall hung, combi gas boiler, that is / can be jetted for use with LPG, and wondered what the recommendations are these days. ?

Thanks,

Nick

Reply to
Nick

The Vaillant ecoTEC plus range claim to have compact dimensions, they also can be converted to run on LPG gas. The ecoTEC plus 824 has dimensions of: 720mm height, 440mm width and

335mm depth. The 831 has the same dimensions, but the 837 has 403mm depth.

The ecoTEC plus 831 is available in a LPG model, the other models require a conversion kit to run on LPG. Vaillant boilers are reliable and easy to use, all their boilers have a one piece stainless steel heat exchanger.

Hope this helps.

Reply to
dawoodseed

Yes, indeed - thanks for the input, I will get some data on it..

Nick

Reply to
Nick

The Ideal Isar is pretty dinky - not sure about running it on LPG though.

Reply to
John Rumm

OK, thanks John will take a look...,

Nick

Reply to
Nick

Not sure about running it for anything critical either :-(

Reply to
John Stumbles

I have recently installed the ecoTEC Plus 28, it is pretty compact, and almost silent, you can't hear it running over the noise of the tap running at the kitchen sink next to it. Really pleased with it.

Reply to
Cod Roe

What has your experience with them been like?

The one I fitted about four years ago has been mostly trouble free (one failed DHW temperature probe), but obviously its too small a sample set to get any real perspective.

In terms of construction they seem to tick most of the boxes (downward firing burner, Si coated ali HE, purpose built design etc), although I expect the shear packing density of the components would make servicing more complex than with other more spacious layouts.

In use it was one of the better combis I have used with good temperature regulation even at low flow rates, and quite operation over a wide ish modulation range.

(having moved, I now get to play the revamp the heating system all over again game!)

Reply to
John Rumm

My intended application is actually on a canal boat - the typical offerings are woefully inadequate - the "Rolls Royce" of diesel heaters ( Webasto) is only rated to operate for 2 hours at a time (!!!), is suspiciously susceptible to the declining qualities of red diesel and needs servicing frequently to de-coke it when run on red diesel.. "Marinised" gas boiler conversions are not much better, so a decent domestic small boiler seems the way to go.. and somewhat more powerful ( than the 5 kw the Webasto is) which will heat up the DHW cylinder before you die of boredom waiting...

Thanks to all for the replies.....

Nick

Reply to
Nick

You will need 240V to drive a domestic combi - I assume you have same on the boat already?

Reply to
Bob Mannix

Oh yes .. there will be 4 kW of pure sine wave available, but a low power consumption device would be advantageous... or a unit that operates internally on 12 volts to save the losses,,

Nick

Reply to
Nick

Well a domestic combi won't take any significant power but running on other than 240V will be a pain. I don't think it will trouble your 4kw supply much unless it's right on the edge already. Of course you will need ~1bar water pressure as well to run a combi - not a problem if moored with services but maybe on the move? Is this a static situation or are you cruising (so to speak)?

Reply to
Bob Mannix

The Isar module is the new Suprima !

Reply to
geoff

Problems with webastos seem quite common, sometimes cured by a manufaacturer's warranty repair/service - maybe the local fitters aren't particularly thorough or careful.

A Pressure Jet Boiler like Kabola B, Somy or Bubbles might be better, if you have the electricity. Or there are 12V diesel water heaters like Mikuni. I don't know if they're better than webastos. Diesel does have safety advantages over gas and if you have gas on board already it saves having to load cylinders.

For hot water, a calorifier on the engine cooling system might be useful if you are cruisng continuously. Connect to enginee cooling water, and ch boiler, you could get a 3 coil one and connect to generator cooling. An immersion heater would give you further back up when shore power is available.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Thanks for the comments...

There is and engine heat take off calorifier , and the DHW tank has an immersion for shore power. I was looking at a Bubbles diesel heater but was wanting to have a low tech backup in the form of a solid fuel stove - possibly with a water jacket as they can get too hot, so seems sensible to channel some heat back to heating / hot water Thanks again for the suggestions

Nick

Reply to
Nick