Recommendations for new electric drill please

My trusty 25yo B&D 2 speed hammer drill is on its last legs :(( I've not kept up with technology in this dept. and would appreciate recommendations for a replacement. Would prefer mains voltage as opposed to cordless. Used for general drilling, wood, metal, brick, block etc. Also occasionally used with holes saws, flap wheels etc. Chuck must be min 1/2" (13mm) Looking for quality & reliability. Thanks

Nick.

Reply to
Rocky

You missed the importent question...how much you willing to shell out?

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

That I don't know. I imagine 'mid-range', whatever that might be.

Nick.

Reply to
Rocky

mid-range still doesn't really help, since people's opinions on mid-range differ!! Anyway I have the Bosch GSB20-2RE

- comes with a 3 year warranty and is the quality you would expect from the Bosch Professional range. I would say this meets your requirements.

Reply to
Piers James

there are several midrange quality brands to choose from, eg bosch, skil, and various others.

I presume you dont want an SDS. These things turn granite into butter, and chisel, lift tiles, chase and so on, but I wouldnt want to use mine as a gneral purpose drill, its too big and heavy, the SDS bits are pricey, and the SDS chuck doesnt take anything but SDS bits.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

The last bit of your requiremnt list would suggest something from one of the "pro" ranges of tools (Blue bodied Bosch, Makita, Hitachi, or possibly a grey bodied own brand from Wickes (usually the OEM is someone credible).

First decide if having a SDS drill will be of use to you. Background here:

John Rumm

Some form of SDS, makes drilling in things that would laugh at a hammer drill a breeze and softer materials a POP. If you do get and SDS make sure it has both hammer and rotation stop, you then have a little kango for breaking or chiseling, lot less effort than a lump hammer and cold chisel.

I've got Bosch PBH 2200 RE, detiled a kitchen, chased grooves for cables, drill holes in stone up to 20mm dia and 18" deep (with the rotation the wrong way, I wondered why it was taking longer than normal and the amount of dust emerging wasn't as much as I expected, thought the dust was going down the pilot hole...)

't think I paid quite that much but it was a year or three back.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

> - comes with a 3 year warranty and is the quality you would expect from the

Got the same one and the equivalent in SDS. Paired together they have fittted more kitchens and bathrooms and renovated more houses than I care to remember. Not bad for a few hundred quid and certainly good enought for domestic and light pro use.

Reply to
TonyK

For masonry you can't beat an SDS, so I'd say get a cheap one of those

*and* a basic non hammer mains drill. You should be able to get the pair for 60 quid. Only fly in the ointment might be if you want a screwdriving facility with the mains drill, as I'd guess these are more expensive.
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Have a look in Wickes. Black range is good value for DIY, Grey range is heavy duty.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

also be sure to get a 2kg one, not a cheaper 5kg, else your arms can drop off halfway thru the job.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

I wouldn't touch anything recent from Black and Decker.

The days of B+D being reliable are long gone. ALL of their stuff now is appalling rubbish.

Bosch tools seem as good as any. My Bosch drill and saw are

5 years old and still going strong.
Reply to
Just Another DIY Fan

Many thanks for all the hints, tips, suggestions & links. I now have a better idea of what I'm looking for and where to find it. Nick.

Reply to
Rocky

You use SDS for masonry not one of those.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

AIH, IJHTK someone with a pristine DeWalt 240V that you might get for a reasonable price. No use to me, or I would have snapped it months back. I don't know if it is still available.

E-mail me.

PS: Anyone want an Hitachi 240V router. It looks like it's had hard use but I got it off a plasterer so the detritus is just off his kit. I have used it a few times but not heavily.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer