Recommendations for an infrared thermometer

Does the following eBay item look satisfactory for balancing domestic central heating radiators?

nearest alternative is the following but would be over 40 quid with postage.
of any alternatives appreciated.

Reply to
Codswallop

|Does the following eBay item look satisfactory for balancing domestic |central heating radiators? |

||The nearest alternative is the following but would be over 40 quid with |postage. |
||Details of any alternatives appreciated.

But to balance domestic central heating radiators you must measure the temperature of the air in the room. The surface temp of the radiator is irrelevant.

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

"Dave Fawthrop" wrote;

You mean that this FAQ is wrong?

Codswallop

Why not use an ordinary el cheapo thermometer - you know, the ones with an outside sensor for about 9 quid, like:-

you know the emissivity of the object you are measuring with an IR thermometer it will not be all that accurate anyway in absolute terms.

Slurp

Reply to
Slurp

FAQ is correct. I can't imagine what Dave is thinking about.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Emissivity of radiators (or black pvc tape on pipes) is pretty good. An IR thermometer makes short work of measuring temperature drop over radiators. Doing the same with contact thermometers takes an age and a half.

Measuring bare copper pipe is not accurate but adding a half inch square of black tape makes all the difference.

Reply to
<me9

Agreed

Reply to
Slurp

Thanks for your replies, I intend to use black tape as recommended in the FAQ and your replies.

Reply to
Codswallop

It isn't infrared which is what the FAQ recommends, plus the use of black tape. I want to do it once and do it right and I don't want to spend cheap then pay double.

Reply to
Codswallop

snipped-for-privacy@cucumber.demon.co.uk (Andrew Gabriel) wrote in news:453a53cf$0$631$ snipped-for-privacy@news.aaisp.net.uk:

Thank gawd - I thought it was me that had lost the plot there.

(I'm a bit low on self-esteem)

mike

Reply to
mike