Recommendation for Domestic Consumer Unit

Currently just need 6 ways, though would like 2 or 3 spare for future expansion. 100A incomer.

Would prefer to go with RCBOs for better fault discrimination.

Also easy to get, so perhaps Screwfix or Toolstation. Any other suppliers where the man the other side of the counter isn't likely to inhale between his teeth?

Reply to
Fredxxx

I like Hager.

You can buy this stuff online - but TLC's prices are not too bad if you have a branch near you.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Hager have a good reputation. From TLC

On price however it is hard to beat the special deals on BG populated units offered by Screwfix.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

TLC Direct - good in person or by mail order

Stick to a known brand to have a realistic chance of support into the future. MK for decent and top money. Contactum for cheap but adequate, Hager for middle ground and good range of options.

Reply to
John Rumm

For all RCBO installs you cannot beat

other sizes and RCBOs available from here

If you have a Denmans branch nearby they have the samething and will let you choose the RCBOs you actually need.

Reply to
ARW

Avoid GE - their parts randomly disappear. Hager seem to stay the course (and as it happens fit the GE board from 12 years back).

Reply to
Tim Watts

I would suggest you fully populate the spare ways (or at least buy the parts to do so). They may no longer be available when you actually want them. Take a stab at likey values.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

switch-6-rcbo-s.html

switch-6-rcbo-s.html

+1

We have one installed - I think it came from Denmans - and it was by far the best value for populated RCBOs.

I wanted RCBOs to avoid the 'earth/neutral kicks the whole CU off' problem I always get when tinkering with electrics. Is this the same as better fault discrimination?

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

Not bad CU's. But you need to wait for the deals.

Reply to
ARW

I rate Hager above MK for quality.

I rate MK above Hager for paying top money!

Reply to
ARW

Fuck me this is the rip off of the year from Screwfix

Mind you it is FULLY insulated.

Reply to
ARW

Do the populated units ever come with RCBOs? (Whenever I've seen them, they've always had 2 RCDs & various subsidiary MCBs.)

Reply to
Adam Funk

For sockets too? (I understand a lot of people swear the MK sockets are better.)

Reply to
Adam Funk

I've found GET sockets are well built and I've had no problems with them

- even with ones with 2.5kW heaters running half the day.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Many thanks for the info.

The standard 8 way would have been ideal for me, but the height I have is just over 200mm, and this consumer unit is spec'd on the Denman's website as being 272mm high. It certainly looks very good value.

Are there any lower profile (height) ones you can recommend?

Reply to
Fredxxx

Thanks.

I was thinking of going for a populated 10 way with future expansion in mind!

I presume each manufacturer has a different standard, but do these change very often?

Reply to
Fredxxx

And all with unsuitable values:-)

Reply to
ARW

Only when you need to buy a new RCBO or MCB for your CU. The change will probably be a week before you want a new part;-)

Hager really have stood the test of time for providing RCBOs, MCBs and anything else (time clocks, contactors etc) that you may wish to install in one of their CUs. All the new gear fits the old CUs.

Reply to
ARW

There is the problem. RCBOs need height. The BG CUs Owain mentioned are pretty good for fitting RCBOs.

Reply to
ARW

The ones they can't shift otherwise?

Reply to