Recommendation for cordless drill please

I'd appreciate recommendations for a high quality cordless drill please. It must have a 13 mm or 1/2" keyless chuck, a 4AH Lithium-ion battery (preferably two), plus hammer and screwdriver functions.

I'll be using it for occasional DIY around the house and garden.

Terry, East Grinstead, UK

Reply to
terrypingm

Pretty much any of the higher end Makita combis with 14.4V or more. Blue Bosch, and DeWalt also worth a look.

e.g:

With 3 and 4Ah batts:

You may be restricting your choice unnecessarily by specifying 4Ah batts

- those are a relatively new addition the market, and 3Ah or even 2.6 Ah give ample usable capacity in practice. In many respects a decent charger is more important. Also note that several high capacity batteries will add greatly to the cost of a package (three new 2.6Ah batts for my drill were £150 recently)

For long battery life, having three batteries is better. If you do need to work continuously, then you can have one charging, one cooling, and one in use. That way you don't need to charge a hot battery which will reduce its life a bit.

Reply to
John Rumm

He said DIY.

I've got two batteries, which is all I need. I've never flattened them both in one session - I use it, when it goes flat, swap and charge. I've also never used it enough for the battery to be hot.

Mine's a Site. I understand this to be a cost-reduced version (nylon gears) of something better - but enough for me.

Andy.

Reply to
Vir Campestris

Which was why I was highlighting the conflicting requirements... "high quality cordless drill please" and "4Ah" are not traditional "DIY" territory tools. (although that does depend on ones definition of DIY!)

Not sure assuming that everyone will use it the same as you helps much...

E.g. mixing a couple of bags of redimix mortar was one battery fully used in a few mins for me the other day.

Core drilling a double skin wall was several complete batteries worth...

Site branded tools were in most cases "last years" Makita - no indication that they were particularly cost reduced (in build terms) even if they were cheaper at retail. With the couple I have there is no obvious difference from the Makita version other than the plastic colour.

Reply to
John Rumm

Seconded. My drill has 4Ah batteries, one charge lasts me a good couple of weeks of fairly frequent use. You only _need_ that capacity if you drill absolutely has to last you a whole working day of intensive use.

Reply to
pcb1962

+1, also 4 Ah batteries are *heavy*.
Reply to
newshound

I find a couple of 1.3Ah batteries is fine. One can charge before the other goes flat. But I dont do what John does, use a cordless for core drilling & mortar mixing.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Thanks all, much appreciate those helpful replies.

I see now that my 4 AH requirement was naively ambitious and I've dropped it.

Terry, East Grinstead, UK

Reply to
terrypingm

So ignoring your battery requirement now.

I randomly picked up one of these at Screwfix when it was on offer:

Batteries recharge in 15 minutes, though I've yet to run one down in the course of a day. Nice and light, has more torque for screws than my wrist and does OK on masonry. Given the two batteries, I don't bother charging proactively, but instead swap the batteries when they run out and plonk the other one on charge.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Connell

I got three 3Ah batteries with my 18v Makita drill driver plus impact driver set, they've have served me well by adding the multitool and sabre saw, I have often run two batteries flat in one session.

Presume you've noticed SF have a "combi drill showdown" on today?

Andy Burns