Recommend me a high litres per minute compressor for £500

Work spent £500 on a compressor for me, it can only deliver two tanks of air at a time, before it gets too hot and the thermal cutout switches it of f. The compressor will only be used about a month each year but when it is used it needs to produce a good volume of air. The pressure does not need t o be high, but the litres per minute does. Thanks

Reply to
misterroy

Which part gets too hot - the compressor or the motor?

Would the addition of forced air cooling help (e.g. a fan)? (Make sure any such forced air cooling does not cool the sensor directly, but cools whatever it's sensing.)

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

of air at a time, before it gets too hot and the thermal cutout switches i t off. The compressor will only be used about a month each year but when it is used it needs to produce a good volume of air. The pressure does not ne ed to be high, but the litres per minute does.

here is the compressor

the motor and compressor parts are combined, the top of the green bit is too hot to keep my hand on. I'm going to push for a replacement, 15 minutes of air per hour is not much use. I think it is int eresting that something so shit can be manufactured, and then find a buyer. The compressor was "installed" by two people who drove 500 miles in their van, that must have cost over a grand on top of the compressor price.

Reply to
misterroy

ks of air at a time, before it gets too hot and the thermal cutout switches it off. The compressor will only be used about a month each year but when it is used it needs to produce a good volume of air. The pressure does not need to be high, but the litres per minute does.

e top of the green bit is too hot to keep my hand on. I'm going to push for a replacement, 15 minutes of air per hour is not much use. I think it is i nteresting that something so shit can be manufactured, and then find a buye r. The compressor was "installed" by two people who drove 500 miles in thei r van, that must have cost over a grand on top of the compressor price.

On the face of it you need a higher c.f.m. rate (Cubic Feet per Minute)

Reply to
fred

Bloodyhell, i imagine the silent operation was a major requirement then? and

3.5 cfm is really f*ck all, it' the minimum requirment of most air small tools, my direct drive noisy as hell cheapo compressor delivers about 7 cfm,

a standard belt driven twin stage compressor head, induction motor and large tank that could do those pressures and volume would have cost half as much, but be noisier.... tho able to run almost all day,

Those 'silent' compressors are basically large fridge compressor units, sure they are almost silent in operation, but they are crap at shedding heat due to the sealed insulating shroud (green bits) in a fridge it's moving the refrigerant around, sure it's compressing it a bit, but it is and open loop so to speak,

in an air compressor, the motors are pushing against a closed tank, thus the pressure is increasing, and the heat rises as it gets harder and harder to push the air into the tank,

Reply to
Gazz

I was out of the loop when the compressor was picked, this was the second one, the first was even poorer. The compressor sits in a room that is a cupboard so the noise is not going to be a big issue.

Reply to
misterroy

In a fridge, the compressor and motor heat is carried to the condensor (rear hot element) by the refrigerant together with the heat extracted from inside the fridge, where the heat is dissipated to the room air.

BTW, why are there two compressors? Are they in series, or parallel, or does the other one take over when the first one gets too hot?

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel