Recommend DIY manual for beginners please

A friend of mine has a daughter who is buying her first house. Can anyone recommend a straightforward good DIY manual that will help her to do those little maintenance jobs that pop up from time to time?
I cannot imagine that she will wish to rewire or install central heating, but leaking taps, tracing simple electrical faults and tips on decorating would be usefull. TIA John T
All e-mails and attachments are virus checked with Norton before sending.
--
To reply direct please remove the wet from the towill

The Old Fart on QVC has just published one.
ZD

He has just published a book to promote the DIY products that QVC sell.
Have you noticed that any hammer drill QVC demonstrate never has to drill into anything more adventurous than a breeze block - probably the limit of performance?
--
Alan
I think to promote himself as well. He is a real fly in the ointment when the demonstrators are doing their job, translating crystal clear statements into condescending instructions to the viewer. Demonstator: "This is a cordless drill." Old Fart: (to viewers) "Now this is a tool that we in the trade have used for many years. It will bore holes in wood, and you don't have to plug it in."

The Collins DIY Manual. Not expensive (mine cost a tenner from Smiths but that was a special offer). Clear pictures, informative text.
--
Bob Eager
rde at tavi.co.uk

anyone
those
I have both Reader's Digest and Collins manuals. RD was updated this year with some new sections and photos. Collins was last revised around 2001. As they cover slightly different grounds, you might want to compare the two before buying.
Alec
Alec wrote:

I have both, and find that I refer to the Collins more often - but I haven't seen the updated RD yet.
John Towill wrote:

Collins. If you look in the remainder type book shops one of them had the previous edition for 6.99. Perfectly ok esp for older type house.