Recommend DIY manual for beginners please

A friend of mine has a daughter who is buying her first house. Can anyone recommend a straightforward good DIY manual that will help her to do those little maintenance jobs that pop up from time to time?

I cannot imagine that she will wish to rewire or install central heating, but leaking taps, tracing simple electrical faults and tips on decorating would be usefull. TIA John T

All e-mails and attachments are virus checked with Norton before sending.

Reply to
John Towill

The Old Fart on QVC has just published one.

ZD

Reply to
Zipadee Doodar

There's a big one published by Reader's Digest. I find it useful in that it covers both basic stuff for beginners, but also lots of more detailed info when you need it. I've seen them at most book stores; Amazon certainly stock it.

Reply to
Christopher Roberts

The Collins DIY Manual. Not expensive (mine cost a tenner from Smiths but that was a special offer). Clear pictures, informative text.

Reply to
Bob Eager

I have both Reader's Digest and Collins manuals. RD was updated this year with some new sections and photos. Collins was last revised around 2001. As they cover slightly different grounds, you might want to compare the two before buying.

Alec

Reply to
Alec

I have both, and find that I refer to the Collins more often - but I haven't seen the updated RD yet.

Reply to
S Viemeister

In message , Zipadee Doodar wrote

He has just published a book to promote the DIY products that QVC sell.

Have you noticed that any hammer drill QVC demonstrate never has to drill into anything more adventurous than a breeze block - probably the limit of performance?

Reply to
Alan

Collins. If you look in the remainder type book shops one of them had the previous edition for £6.99. Perfectly ok esp for older type house.

Reply to
BillR

I think to promote himself as well. He is a real fly in the ointment when the demonstrators are doing their job, translating crystal clear statements into condescending instructions to the viewer. Demonstator: "This is a cordless drill." Old Fart: (to viewers) "Now this is a tool that we in the trade have used for many years. It will bore holes in wood, and you don't have to plug it in."

ZD

Reply to
Zipadee Doodar