Recommend decent (re-fillable) inkjet printer please!

Hi guys - what printers have you had good luck with? Just need a basic inkjet with good quality black print, and easily re-fillable cartridges so it doesn't cost the earth. Thanks for any recommendations. Andy

Reply to
Eusebius

I've been pleased with Lexmark Z515 I got from Argos. The cartidges are expensive, but are not 'chipped' and I find they are easy to refil with el-cheapo ALDI ink - I only refill the black ones as the colour is too fiddly. It cost under =C2=A350 three years ago.

R.

Reply to
TheOldFellow

HP LaserJet 1010.

Oh, inkjet? I never come across one that was any good. Go for a laser.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

I bought a Samsung ML2010 LASER printer from Ebuyer a few weeks ago for

49.95: much faster, much quieter, much less fuss, and (probably) prints many more pages than an inkjet.

Of course, it's only B/W. But I actually bought this to replace an Epson PhotoPlus Stylus (thingummy-wotstit-do-dah) printer that I'd bought only 9 months previously.

I'd had the idea I'd be printing my own digital photos. Occasionally, I succeeded in doing this, but all in all decided that it is a complete mug's game. I now use one of the many websites to get photos printed superbly and quickly (Photobox in my case), and I have the laser printer for what I really needed it for: the odd letter.

I'm *extremely* happy about it: the inkjet was a waste of time and money.

John

Reply to
jal

Go for a cheap laser if you only need black

Stuart Noble

I've never had luck with any inkjet, and nowadays most of them are rigged so that if you use a refill the printer either refuses to work or "nags" you about the refill. Some Epsons even refuse to use the highest print quality setting with a refill.

FWIW, I got so hacked off with inkjets that I bought several Xerox Phaser 8200DP printers, each costing around £200. These use an ink-jet type mechanism but the ink is a solid wax melted in the printer before being sprayed via the print head. The mechanism is also unusual in that the ink goes onto a drum before being pressed onto the paper. A sort of hybrid of inkjet and laser technology.

The print quality is exceptional and the refill blocks relatively cheap, although the headache is that you have to buy in bulk to get the best saving. Still they work out at about £10 for the equivalent of 4 inkjet cartridges in page coverage/volume of ink.

They are also PostScript, duplex printers with built in network print servers. Very easy to install, configure and manage. The only bad point is that you really shouldn't turn them off and they are not suitable for people who only print something once a month or so.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Wise words.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

If you only need black and white printing, buy a laser. Better quality, faster, and much cheaper to run. Samsung do some nice entry level ones.

Reply to
John Rumm

In message , Mike Barnes writes

The older Canons were by far the easiest to refill and you could also unplug their print head and wash it under the tap.

I've got a Pixma ip4000 and have saved an absolute fortune on ink. It also produces very good results with the bulk cheap glossy papers from pound stores.

Laser is good though. You can also get toner refill kits where you stick a hot apple corer through the cartridge to melt a swarf free hole, then fill with toner via a funnel and put a sticker over the hole. I've done that for my Laserjet 6L and the results were perfect.

Reply to
Clive Mitchell

Any recipes for unblocking one? Mine has a serious case of block in the main black. The price of new is daft.

Reply to
EricP

They say soaking it in household ammonia overnight works. Cheap enough to give it a try

Reply to
Stuart Noble

For monochrome work, laser printers, using remanufactured cartridges, can be cheaper than an inkjet.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

A bottle is too hand!

Cheers. :))

Reply to
EricP

reasonable choice for an inkjet =- nice results and very flexible media handling (including CDs IIRC). The printhead assembly is replaceable independently of the cartridges - so quite a good compromise against the expensive head built into cartridge or blockage likely fixed print head dilemma.

Reply to
John Rumm

In message , EricP writes

Have you actually tried removing the ink cartridges, flipping the latch up, lifting the print head out and dousing it liberally with water at the sink?

Reply to
Clive Mitchell

Reply to
EricP