recommend a small metalworking lathe

I'm considering getting a small lathe to turn out some smallish (5 - 10 cm long, 3-4cm wide) custom parts in aluminium strictly on a "hobbyist" basis. I don't foresee a need to cut screw threads bt I may also need a small milling machine later, if things work out.

General comments like "avoid machines with plastic gears" won't be much help, but if you do know specific brands/models are good, or should be avoided that would be very helpful.

I don't want to go mad and if it's going to cost more than say, 5-600 pounds I'd probably contract the work out.

with thanks Pete

Reply to
Peter Lynch

I've always been fond of my mate's Myford (Super 7). I'm sure somebody here will have experience of others. I notice there are a few Myfords on ebay, and reasonably priced too.

Reply to
Grumps

This subject has been discussed at length over at uk.rec.models.engineering.

Have a look at this thread.

Reply to
Archie

You may find this page interesting

a Myford on Ebay
of my smallest Lathe :-)

-
Reply to
Mark

Lathes are practically free, tooling costs money. Remember this when appraising S/H lathes and when looking at the "bargain prices" on new ones.

Myfords are fought over by the Duffers and the prices are insane. They're also too small.

Boxfords were almost all bought by schools, who killed them.

'60s Colchesters are the best deal around, if you have the space and maybe the 3 phase.

Machine Mart sell one of the worst-designed lathes around (the blue thing, with optional milling head). They also sell the little yellow jobbie, which is small, but not bad really.

Emco aren't bad, if you have to buy new.

Milling heads aren't as much use as you'd hope. The sort mounted behind the bed are of some little use, the sort (like Machine Mart's) driven from the headstock are useless, as they can't reach past the chuck.

Reply to
dingbat

Take a look at the axminster BV20

looked closely at them when I was thinking of getting a lathe (didn't in the end, change of plans). IMO they're very good for the price - easy to adjust, V beds, lots of nice features for the price.

Reply to
Grunff

With a potential future need for milling, I would suggest the Myford CL7 instead of the Super 7. It has a longer bed, to take the capstan, which makes the milling attachment easier to use. Having said that, I am not greatly impressed by the capabilities of lathe mounted milling attachments.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

I have a Clarke CL300M lathe, which isn't bad, but it doesn't have a milling facility.

Reply to
Beelzebub