Recommend a good value blow torch with a pencil flame

What's a good cheaper blow torch for occasional use removing heads from golf shafts?

Must have a pencil flame to target the heat.

I've been looking at the Camping Gaz models and the Bernzomatic ones. Open to other suggestions.

I really need some guys who have used these kind of models to tell me if they are capable of a pencil flame.

All help and experiences very welcome!

Reply to
Eusebius

How much heat do you need? I've got a neat little blowlamp that is about the size of a semi-fat ballpoint that does quite a vicious pencil flame. IIRC, I bought it from Maplins many moons ago.

Reply to
John Williamson

I have one of those too, but find something like this

more useful: very controllable, has a decent sized reservoir and doesn't leak, so it still works after months with no use.

Reply to
newshound

I was thinking of something a bit bigger. Has to heat up a golf club head fairly fast. Don't know the heat recommendation in degrees, however. Glue breaks down about 130*C

Reply to
Eusebius

I have a quickfire.. similar to:

Depends on how pencil you want it! The flame pattern is not much wider than the spout (mine has a slightly wider head on it) - it will create a flame pattern that will just about reach around a 15mm pipe.

I have a smaller "flameaster" hobby butane torch, which is very fine - but possibly too fine for a golf club shaft.

Reply to
John Rumm

OK I would go for one of the "plumbing" sized ones with the disposable cannister for that. You can do a lot with the smaller ones though; silver soldering "jewelery" sized stuff, heat shrink on electrical wires.

Reply to
newshound

Having dropped a log and smashed the creme brule torch I use for fire lighting I bought a *Go system micro tech torch MM2003* from B&Q for £29.98.

Very tight pencil flame.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

n to other suggestions.

they are capable of a pencil flame.

There are some cheap chinese ones for around a fiver about, buy direct from china/hk. Flame quality good, but controllability of flame size lousy. The y're blue with ali ends, and about the size of a no-nonsense pen, bit longe r. Perfectly good enough for occasional use, not good enough for trade use.

NT

Reply to
meow2222