Recomendations on white goods

hey all, Im hoping you folks might help me. Im looking for advice on a) American style fridge freezer b) Washing machine If someone could give me advice on what to look for, what makes/models to avoid it would help alot. Thanks in advance for any replies Dave W.

Reply to
Dave Walsh

For 14 years (until recently) my other half used to work in an electrical shop that sold brown and white goods.

They would only recommend Electrolux and Bosch for washing machines.

They say it is also worth looking at which manufacturers are offering extended warranties. They would advise that most of the paid for shop extended warranties are a waste of money. Most only seem to cover sudden failure as opposed to wear and tear. Many policies will also specifically exclude the parts that are most likely to fail. For example, the motor.

Apart from that they would say:

(1) apparently the computerised circuit boards in some modern digital washing machines made by certain manufacturers don't cope too well with steam. Many a customer would find that their washing machine would go wrong after several months, immediately after they had done a boil wash. The moisture can eventually find its way into the electronics of the machine over time.

(2) most machines use so little water that it is pointless fitting hot and cold fill. They would recommend that a Y joint is used so that cold fill only is used. In most cases by the time the water travels from the hot water tank or the boiler gets upto temperature the washing machine has finished filling. As a result, you end up paying to heat up the hot water pipe to the machine, but not the machine itself.

(3) make sure the machine is dead level when installed. A wonky machine will increase the wear and tear on the drum bearings.

Graham

Reply to
graham

Electrolux have a poor reputation these days for reliability. Meile is the 'R-R' of washing machines.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

How do you arrive at that conclusion?

My other half says they had very few complaints from customers about Electrolux washing machines.

Graham

Reply to
graham