Recoil start broken on briggs and stratton mower

I have an old Condor Mower but when I tried to start it recently the recoil start rope broke, or at least it came out of the mechanism.

I can see also that the end of the return spring seems to be broken, but that it would be possible to grind the end back to copy whatever shape it should be, using an angle grinder

The problem is that with it all in bits, it is difficult to see how it all goes back together, The cord may well have something on the end of it like a knot, but it is not obvious how I should go about it's repair.

Is this information available anywhere or will I have to approach Briggs and Stratton?

Thanks George.

Reply to
George

I can't search at the moment but I'm willing to bet that a "Briggs and Stratton recoil starter repair" search on the Internet will bring up more sites and YouTube videos than you'll know what to do with.

Regarding the spring, unless you have absolutely no alternative I'd go for replacement, not cutting/bending/grinding. Spring steel is cussed stuff.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Lots of Youtube instructional videos

Reply to
alan_m

Have you not found google yet?

The B&S website has manuals for download. The hard bit might be finding which manual to download but they give guidance on where to find the required engine numbers.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice