Recliner lubrication

I inherited a LA-Z-BOY reclining armchair. It has not been used a lot and the reclining mechanism is very stiff. Is there a way of lubricating it without (sooner or later) getting the lubricant on the carpet below?

Reply to
Jim S

a) clean it, dont lube it b) use grease, it doesnt drip. Dont overdo it.

NT

Reply to
Tabby

WD40

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

In aus we have something called selleys glide, it is a pressure pac but it does not stain like wd40 (you can use it on zippers)

Reply to
F Murtz

You've got a few options, depending on what it needs:

If it's really tight metal-on-metal pin joints, then spray something runny in there. I'd use a PTFE-based lubricant (dead easy to find in the USA, harder over here), or the rest of uk.d-i-y would probably say WD-40. Some really good ones are the better mountain bike chain lubricants. Tip the chair on its side, pack some newspaper around before spraying, wipe the outside drips off with kitchen roll before putting it back on the carpet.

If it's a big area slider, especially on a plastic pad, then use a stiff high-melting point grease. Softer greases are more likely to slide off (Use the best you've got - it isn't rocket surgery). Don't use too much, again to reduce the risk of drops on the carpet. Avoid black, grey, metallic or white (PTFE) greases, again for risk of staining.

Avoid silicones, again for staining.

If plastic runners and pads are broken or grooved, replace them with new ones filed up out of phenolic (Tufnol or even Paxolin), or PTFE strip (Axminster, sold as slidey pads for jig making).

Reply to
Andy Dingley

dennis

You cruisin' for a bruisin'? ;-)

Reply to
Dave Osborne

And if you can find it, use a molybdinum based grease and it will last for ages. You only need a tiny amount and it sticks the the metal like the proverbial.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

I think that would be good too, having had experience using it.

Dave

Reply to
Dave