Recessed lights UNDER bathroom

Whilst fitting some recessed lights, we came across a snag. The lights at one point are just below the bathroom, and specifically the shower pan, with the drain RIGHT underneath!

I am assuming this will be a safety issue, and as such, what is the way around this?

Fix the hole back up and locate the spot elsewhere (tricky as the entire bathroom upstairs runs along this part of the downstairs room). Either have no spots there, or bunch them up somewhere else under the bathroom but not under any pipes or drainage pipes?

Fit the light, as it is? I am pretty sure this isn't a good idea but bow to superior knowledge in this instance.

Fit some kind of sealed unit in that space. How does the sealed unit work, and is it possible to use the current front casing (it is a specific colour). Will that ensure safety (duh!).

Or any other suggestions gratefully received.

Reply to
paulcurt

dunno, but aren't they low voltage lights?

Reply to
Gav

The lights are not within the bathroom zones from what you describe, I don't see a problem. Jaymack

Reply to
John McLean

Agreed, but you probably don't want a halogen lamp just inches below a plastic waste pipe if you want the water to stay inside the pipework.

Reply to
John Stumbles

I'm seeing 3 issues:

  1. electricity meets water solvable by using 12v lights and putting the transformer out teh way

  1. lamp melts pipe

  1. lamp ses fire to pipe both solvable with an aluminium plate above the fitting to spread the heat out, deflect hot air and reduce surface temp. This would need a bigger hole than the fitting to get it in place though.

  1. water meets halogen lamp which explodes shape the ali so any drips stay off the lightbulb.

Would be better to pick a better type of lighting, but I assume you want halo.

NT

Reply to
meow2222