Reccomendation for small analogue multimeter

Doesn't have to be fantastically acurate, but something that's built to last would be good. One of the little Ancient AVOs (Multiminor ?) would be lovely, but a quick search on Ebay shows that they are made of unobtainium :=((

So, what's the modern equivalent?

Incidently, if anyone would like an old AVO 7 (might be AVO 8, it's a long time since I looked at it). Drop me a mail and we can haggle.

Thats MR Zikki to you!

Reply to
zikkimalambo

Try here:

Multiminors were good in their day but not in the same class as an AVO

  1. I don't think the Minors have been made for some years and a cheap Japanese (or other far eastern) meter is probably a better buy.
Reply to
Brian Reay

I have the US equiv, a 27 year old Simpson (not as good some say but with a built in roller blind case). It is like new, complete with instructions). The sheds sell meters for £5-10 for occasionally use they are fine. If it breaks down buy another, otherwise you pay silly money for a Fluke; mine packed up, while the Simpson is still going. I paid £6 at Aldi for a digital meter with a 3 year guarantee. Excellent quality.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

snipped-for-privacy@connectfree.co.uk wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

Having had a look at Rapid Electronics following up one of Mr Plowmans posts, I saw one of these that might float your boat

need to mention watch the wrap!

(model 160 analogue multimeter £8.99)

mike

Reply to
mike ring

A lot depends on what you are going to use it for.

The old Avo Minor drew about 2.5 milli amps from the circuit, if I remember, when measuring volts. (I have one and I use it for measuring current, as it does not have a large voltage drop across it, like some of the modern ones do)

It was useful for measuring Volts on some jobs, but not those where the current flowing through the circuit was tiny. This was why the more modern, high impedance meters were introduced. They didn't load the circuit being measured. However, they are prone to measuring stray signals that are not your target.

I used to work on aircraft and at times I had to measure the flap/slat asymmetry voltages. This is a system on the A/C that detects that the two sides of the A/C are in sync. Use a modern, high impedance input DVM and you could not get a correct reading. Use a much older type and everything was OK.

Post what you want it for and I am sure someone will point you in the right direction. Other than that, use your old Avo 7/8. a very good instrument.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Here we go again. What on earth would you want a Fluke for given your total lack of knowledge about electricity? You're making things up again. A three quid DVM from a market stall would try your knowledge. Get a Steinel Volt stick for 4 quid - that's all you'll need for your favourite system boilers. Nice flashing lights so no need to try and understand figures.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

They're awfully big to cart around, though. But a classic design.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

** snip total senile babble and tripe **

It is Saturday, they let him out to shops today.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

He must have seen a picture of one.

Reply to