Rebar

Anyone know where you get rebar from ?

My local builders merchants want 10 times what I recokon it should cost, compared to mild steel.

If you know of a HowTo for using this stuff (to an engineers spec) that would be great. My next job is to fix the rebar and cast the concrete.

I am also looking for a supply of the jumbo bulk bags. To buy them new is a huge cost, and the builders merchants don't recycle them any more, so there must be a mountain of them somewhere ........

Thanks Rick

Reply to
Rick Dipper

They stopped reusing them due to some record keeping regulations. They are treated the same as slings, so would have to be serialised, inspected & periodically tested - not viable when they regularly go out of your immediate control.

The agricultural auction near me sells these all the time, one old bag stuffed full of other bags; maybe feed or some such delivered in them. So find a farmer, bribe a Jewson worker, or forgo one of your lorry drops of aggregate?

Reply to
Toby

brilliant idea - ill do the auction. I want to get a lorry of sand, and fill it in to bags for easy shifting/storage. bagged sand is 60 quid a tonne a lorry full 300-400 quid.

Rick

Reply to
Rick Dipper

I worked it out

Builder Ceneter (sexy new website - thanks) list rebar prices, at a quarter of the cost from my local builder merchant. HSS hire a "rebar bender" for 33 quid a day, so thats 15 quid a day anywhere else.

As I work next to a steel mill, I will phone up the stock holders and get a decent price.

Thanks Rick

Reply to
Rick Dipper