Realistic electric fire - Is there one ?

Under the wife's instructions I'm having to iunstall a fireplace, we have the mantel and hearth picked out but are having trouble with the fire itself. We are limited to an electric one as I refuse to channel through the concrete floors for gas but I would like it to look as good as possible. There seems to be a wide variety in the realism of the flame effect, with some looking very cheap and cheesy. Can anyone recommend a make or range that doesn't look too bad I know it will never look as good as the real thing, but it will have to do for now. (SWMBO likes the traditional brass style with frets etc and not the sexy new chrome/steel ones)

Thanks Jim

Reply to
Jim

Does it need to produce heat or are you just looking for the decorative effect?

If it's the latter, then you could simply create what looks like a coal or log fire.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

I think she is going to insist that it produces heat, god knows why, we live in a virtual sauna as it is !

Reply to
Jim

"Jim" wrote | There seems to be a wide variety in the realism of the flame effect, | with some looking very cheap and cheesy.

There are and some do.

I saw an electric fire at someone's house that had me guessing for several minutes, it was so realistic. It was an inset glass-fronted stove style and /might/ have been a Dimplex (all the panel heaters were Dimplex). Fairly modern style, I think the ones with plastic logs and grates never ever look convincing.

The good ones are Not Cheap.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

I have seen a very impressive unit which looks like a gas coal effect fire, but is actually electric. It incorporated a 2KW fan heater across the top of the fire. Sorry I can't recall the make. It was a standard coal fire width and height. Google?

Regards Capitol

Reply to
Capitol

The Dimplex "Optiflame Plus" range has a pretty good effect.

Reply to
Ziggur