Real situation on 13A sockets in wooden skirting boards

(I googled till my eyes went funny without finding anything even half relevant on this; uk.d-i-y FAQ ditto ... hope it's not common knowledge)

Getting some quotes for re-wiring my oldish house which has numerous sockets mounted in the skirting boards. Most of the skirtings are 170mm high, made up of 130mm vertical and the rest bevelled, and the sockets are therefore about 30mm up off the floor to the lowest point of the plastic.

The first contractor tells me that the latest wiring regulations prohibit sockets in wooden skirting boards, on the basis that if a "hot" fault develops - not uncommon, I know - then they are an obvious fire hazard. Therefore all the sockets need to go up into the plaster, though since it's a re-wire I don't need to put them _way_ up, as would be required in a new building.

The second contractor says that the important part is how high the socket is off the floor: too low and the cable can be kinked tightly as it comes out of the bottom of the plug top and also chafe on the floor. If the skirtings were modern tiny ones, he says, the sockets would have to be moved but as it is we're OK.

Can someone help me (a) with an authoritative opinion, or (b) a reference to the relevant section of the regs? I may be able to go and look at them in a library.

(I'm not without some knowledge in this matter, having re-wired two houses decades ago)

Reply to
Henry Law

Second contractor is correct. There's nothing in the regs forbidding fitting sockets on skirting boards or other wood, so I can't point you at it. The sockets need non-combustable back boxes.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

It should be uncommon!

Not really more so than sockets mounted on wooden panelling etc.

What is important is that proper non-combustible backing boxes (either plastic or metal) are used and that they *completely* enclose the rear of the socket and fit snugly to the faceplate.

This was not always the case with early designs of sockets and switches which were mounted on wooden pattresses.

And, of course, running cables behind the skirting board is also not considered a good idea now.

This is a correct cause for concern. Having the bottom of the socket only 30mm above the floor is a *little* snug IMHO especially with some moulded plugs with integral strain relief.

There is also the point that plastic sockets are not designed to withstand impact eg from vacuum cleaners, and might therefore not be suitable in this position.

If you can find some, and the domestic manager approves, I would suggest metal faceplates with circular socket inserts, with the sockets rotated to 45degree; this will accommodate cables leaving the plug.

Personally I would prefer to take the new sockets up into the plasterwork, but my opinion would be influenced strongly by the making good required - a painted skirting is fairly easy to fill holes and make good, whereas if you have a wood finish it isn't.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

However, it's worth making a possibly associated point that cables can't be run horizontally behind skirtings....

Reply to
Andy Hall

Certainly, as has been said, plugging into a socket on a 5" skirting board is not a very good idea. I have this situation myself, and rotated one socket 90degrees so I could get a plug in, the fitted carpet having further reduced the clearance between the plug and the floor to the point of having to strain things just to get the plug in. I don't know if that's allowed ( I don't care either ), but I couldn't do that on twin sockets so I bit the bullet, ripped the skirtings out downstairs whilst I was doing the floorboards, and chased the wall out to take sockets. It's a far superior solution to sockets in 5" skirting, though it's a lot of work.

Andy

Reply to
Andy

Sadly they have the result right, but the reasons wrong.

Its the disabled lobby. All sockets and light switches must be within reach of a person in a wheelchair and for elderly people who can't bend down, but can apparently still change lightbulbs in the ceiling, and plug and unplug their SDS drills, electric chainsaws and mowers in on a regular basis.

All sockets and switches have to be between 400mm and 1.5m from the floor.

Even on floors that are unreachable by cripples.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Andrew Gabriel wrote: an someone help me (a) with an authoritative opinion, or (b) a

No, but there are regulations prohibiting them at/near floor level.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Irt's between 400 and 1200mm

Reply to
Stephen Dawson

Please cite. If you're thinking of Part M, it doesn't apply here.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Going slightly OT - if this were the situation, is there any reason the sockets can't be mounted on their side (if the skirting is deep enough) or upside down?

(I've read the rest of the thread about disabled access, just interested in this as a curiosity!)

Gordon

Reply to
Gordon Henderson

But to what extent do the height requirements apply to :

existing sockets having new cabling running to them

existing sockets not being "rewired" ?

Robert

Reply to
robert

On their side I think Okay. Upside down I think not. Switches would be upside down, which could be confusing/dangerous. But I don't think it's covered by Regs.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

height of socket; 'On-site Guide to BS7671' says on p 155 that switches and sockets should be accessible to people with limited reach and "A way of satisfying the requirement is...." 450-1200mm from FFL. It refers you to BS7671 part 553-01-06, but this makes no mention of heights except that it should be enough to avoid physical damage to socket plug cord. No mention at all of reachability etc. so where is the rule exactly, isn't the guide only a guide, or does it contain additional requirements?

cheers Jacob

Reply to
normanwisdom

I'm struggling to see how they could be run anything but horizontally :)

Reply to
Matt

There is nothing in BS7671 from this perspective.

The notion comes from part M of the Building Regulations (Access to and use of buildings) - i.e. for the disabled.

Depending on the project, it may or may not be relevant.

Reply to
Andy Hall

If it is a 'material alteration to the property' it is theoretically relevant.

If the BCO has not been notified and will not be, it is *practically* irrelevant.

There is an argument that *repairing* old, like with like, is permissible.

*New* work has to be at least no worse than old, and if practical to be to the current regulations.

i.e. the situation is if the BCO ain't watching do what you like. Might affect resale value, probably won't.

If he is, in the end you have his total power to get you to rip it all out and start again to contend with. He will almost certainly insist that if you are rewiring, it meets disability regulations. And all the other regulations about cable runs being orthogonal to the sockets.

The point being he WILL be involved if its a MATERIAL ALTERATION. and if he IS involved, it will be regarded as 'new work' and its not hard when rewiring to move sockets to the 'correct' place (as defined by the cripple crew).

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

On 20 Sep 2006 07:02:16 GMT someone who may be snipped-for-privacy@cucumber.demon.co.uk (Andrew Gabriel) wrote this:-

They must be mounted at a suitable height to minimise the chances of damage. That means being high enough up not to be bashed by things dragged/pushed around the floor, like upright vacuum cleaners.

Floor sockets should not be damaged by such things, provided the cover is in place.

Reply to
David Hansen

Suspended floor.Straight down behind skirting and under the floor.

Dave

Reply to
gort

IIUC they can be run horizontally, but would need capping over them to comply with regs.

Cables to low sockets often go down to below the floor where the cables are run.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

something stronger than