Reading newsgroup postings

I'll probably have a 'Doh' moment when I get the answer to this - why, when I click on a subject in the list of topics, does the topic open at the last posting made, and not the first? Can I change this?

Reply to
Homer2911

Usenet is not intended to be read through a web based access. If you want to use it properly, get a proper news reader. All of these have a mechanism to slice and dice as you like.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Yes, ditch Google Groups, it's a crap way to access usenet. Seeing as this is a DIY NG, it's a bit like trying to use a lump hammer to plaster a wall.

Get a decent news reader - there are plenty out there. Your ISP will probably have a new server for access to usenet, otherwise spend 10 Euros per year on a subscription to News.Individual.net to access the news groups.

Reply to
The Wanderer

Pay? Pay, you say? Never heard the like!

Reply to
Homer2911

Well, it _was_ free - but 10 Euro a year, for excellent service, is still a bargain.

Reply to
S Viemeister

By your IP address you are on Telewest. Try their newsgroup service and be brave - find a better newsreader than Outlook Express. Thunderbird is a good choice, and that's free.

Reply to
Adrian C

brave - find a

How did you get to Telewest from: Email: "Homer2911"

Perhaps with your NSA abilities you aught to consider using Google Groups like ye reste ane us. Times have changed.

(Still opens at the latest clip though. And it opens as a list I prefer the tree views.)

Mussen gwumble.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

In the headers (for a google post)

Shove the ip address into which suggests a RIPE address, so run the same IP address through

inetnum: 80.195.0.0 - 80.195.31.255 netname: TELEWEST-HSD-EDINBURGH descr: Telewest HSD Platform country: GB admin-c: TWIP1-RIPE tech-c: TWIP3-RIPE status: ASSIGNED PA mnt-by: AS5462-MNT mnt-lower: AS5462-MNT mnt-routes: AS5462-MNT remarks: report abuse to snipped-for-privacy@blueyonder.co.uk remarks: all reports via other channels will be ignored. source: RIPE # Filtered

Our "Pay? Pay, you say? Never heard the like!" OP friend is somewhere around Edinburgh. Would be ;-)

You've got to be kidding. I think google have broken their web interface with too much fiddling - they seem now to be matching a searched word to the last instance of it's use in a thread instead of the first. Hence the scrolling to the bottom ;-(

Reply to
Adrian C