Reading lights

Hello all - wonder if anyone has any ideas on this one:

I want to add some reading lights to our bedroom. I really like the sort of lights that aircraft have. i.e they produce a very small pool of light just where you want it, and it doesn't disturb the person next to you. I would like to replicate the same sort of thing at home so I don't disturb the mrs when I'm reading in bed. I can only think of 3 ways you could sensibly get that sort of small divergence:

1) regular-ish spotlight with some sort of lens system. 2) MR16/MR11 type lamp with very small divergence (but I've never seen
Reply to
Tournifreak

The message from "Tournifreak" contains these words:

used to have a MR16 lamp with a snoot made from an old beer can painted black. Pool of bright light about a foot across. Turned out to be unneccessary as the wife sleeps only wakes for earthquakes and demolition explosions.

Reply to
Guy King

I did think about using a couple of feet of drainpipe in the loft to direct spotlight beams, but this was vetoed by the boss.

I put a pair of spotlights at just over sitting-up-in-bed head height at the centre of the bed. Actually, they're on a track, but we've never found it necessary to move them. Since they point slightly outwards in use, the spill over the other side of the bed is minimal.

Reply to
Joe

Not quite what you describe, but I have something a bit like the tall lamp shown here:

works quite well since it has a clean cutoff of light at the edge, so you can position it just where you need to illuminate a book but not shine over the rest of the room.

Reply to
John Rumm

Tournifreak laid this down on his screen :

For caravans you can buy small, low wattage eyeball adjustable spot lights, with a brass finish. These would seem to be what you need, providing you are fitting them at arms reach above the bed. A 230/12v transformer would be required.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Google on "LED Gooseneck" wotq - lots of possibilities especially if you're prepared to do a little adaptation.

or

4) An LED head torch. We use these:
they're great. You can also take them away with you on holiday.
Reply to
Mike Barnes

Aircraft type lights of course come from above and slightly to the front which might be difficult to do in a bedroom as the ceiling is probably too far away to get a reasonably controlled beam without using fancy optics.

How about wall mounted anglepoise units?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Not something I readily admit to 'in real life' but I've taken to wearing an LED head-torch in bed for this reason (2.99 from Aldi) - does the job nicely!

David

Reply to
Lobster

In message , Lobster writes

Seconded, I have an el cheap led head torch for reading in bed so as not to wake her indoors, now if I could only cure the snoring (it puts me off my book)

Reply to
Clint Sharp

I have a pair of cheap earmuffs - they cut out traffic noise and also keep my ears warm on chilly winter evenings.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Fairly widely available from audio suppliers for use over 'decks' in discotheques.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

There's this one which plugs into an XLR socket and is usually fed from a

12 volt supply. Don't think the price will appeal, though.

Dave Plowman (News)

Well, with 3 suggestions of LED head-torches so far, I guess that might be the way to go. But I was rather hoping for something that I could admit to in public! (I think you're all very brave) Best regards, Jon.

Reply to
Tournifreak

Canford do that can't be bought elsewhere for *much* less! But everyone in the industry seems to go there first!? A mixing desk light was one thing I hadn't considered though. Thanks! Jon.

Reply to
Tournifreak

See also the 'writing notes in dark rooms' thread.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

There used to be a goose neck car map reading light that all the boy racers fitted. Dunno if it's still available, but wasn't that expensive.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

TLC do a 12 deg, 12v, 50W lamp part no LA M49

Malcolm

Reply to
Malcolm Race

The message from Malcolm Race contains these words:

This bunch do a 10° 20W which may be more useful.

Guy King

though. Certainly 20W would be preferable to 50. It will be on a dimmer, but even so. 50W pointing on my shiny head would illuminate the whole room! Jon.

Reply to
Tournifreak