Readers Digest DIY manual

Anyone want a Readers Digest DIY manual from the late 1970s/early 80s?

Lots of neat projects to recover your furniture with Dralon, block up those unsightly victorian fireplaces etc :-)

I've tried the local (Reading) library and Freecycle groups. It'd cost about £5 to post.

Reply to
John Stumbles

Funnily enough, my copy surfaced yesterday! It's fun...I'll keep it!

Reply to
Bob Eager

Don't you want to keep it then?

Surely panelling the doors with hardboard and fitting plastic handles will become fashionanable again....

I think I might have one of these as well. It's a grey ring binder with two sections - one is techniques and the other is projects.

It's not as excruciating as American DIY books. I was thumbing through one on bathroom remodelling today. As you do. There was a section on fitting the WC - conventionally there is a soil pipe socket in the floor (only 3", so I wonder about the Richards) and the bog sits on it - i.e. connection inside the pedestal. Then there were chapters on fitting the "tub" (bath) and "setting tile" (tiling). Finally there was a photo of a guy stuffing a load of wiring with wire nuts into a hole in the wall (before patching it and covering it with "mud" (basecoat plaster).

Reply to
Andy Hall

It still is, round here....

Reply to
Steve Walker

You forgot...how to make a serving hatch. ;-)

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

The message from "The3rd Earl Of Derby" contains these words:

Servile hatch as they're called round here.

Reply to
Guy King

The message from Andy Hall contains these words:

No we most certainly haven't!

Reply to
Guy King

Have you got one?

The house should be designed or modified to accomodate it..

Reply to
Andy Hall

I still remember my Dad doing that!

Polstyrene ceiling tiles, red & yellow patios, stone cladding, what were we thinking of!

Reply to
The Medway Handyman