Re: Yellowing Toilet Seats!

Hi all

> > Ok the DIY bit is that I originally fitted the toilet. > > The question I have concerns the underside of the seat - I don't > think this is restricted to the model I have fitted, the Laufen > Pro IIRC. > The top of the seat and lid are still the original colour and look > fine but, being of the male gender, I tend to lift the seat and > leave it lifted. The underside concave surface (where the seat > supports are mounted) is discolouring to a dull yellow. I'm > pretty sure this is not due to misdirection. > > Is this down to the manufacturing process or the materials? > A bit disappointed as this was not a cheap item. > > Phil > >

Hmm, never seen a toilet seat that's concave on the underside that *hasn't* been cheap and nasty.

Let's face it, it's concave because it takes less plastic to make and when you're cheese-paring to that extent, using quality plastics isn't high on a manufacturer's priorities.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Sunshine will 'yellow' some plastics. You haven't got the sun shining out of your you-know-what, have you? :-)

Get a new seat. Something substantial and not ultra cheap. Don't leave it lifted.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

You sound like my ex wife, all my ex girlfiends, my currert gf and all their mothers:-)

Reply to
ARW

I know for certain Laufen would make the ceramic bit (visited their Swiss factory at Laufen many years ago) but I'm less certain about the plastic fittings. In 1999 Laufen were taken over by the giant Spanish Roca group, so the plastic fittings could be made anywhere or bought in.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

Would also make it lighter to lift.

The white seat on my Ideal Standard is still as white as new at over 30 years old. But it is a rigid hard plastic - unlike the sort of slightly flexible type you get today.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The other problem is that a lot of white plastic materials rely on exposure to light to keep them staying white. Cover white gloss paint on a windowsill with ornaments for a while and the resin will yellow.

The polymer resin naturally goes yellow with age.

Reply to
Martin Brown

Some of who seem to install toilets with seats that won't stay up and then complain that their men who are now trying to hold one thing in one hand and another in the other can't hit the bowl. I've tried sitting down but that seems to kick in other responses.

Reply to
AnthonyL