Re: wtf with google groups?

Is it something with my setup of has Google borked its groups interface? >

> If I try to follow a link e.g. to the Google groups interface to uk.d-i-y >
instead of getting the > group I just get a page saying > > Google groups > > Create and share with groups of people > > ... blah blah ... > > and an invitation to "Sign up to Google Groups with your Google Account"

Still works fine for me (although I never normally access it that way).

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

of getting the

Still OK for me, and I use it to access loads of Usenet groups [*]. Occasionally when I try to post it makes me log in again, but that's all.

Chris

[*] OK, I know that makes me a sad case, and I should spend 5 minutes setting up whatever interface everyone says is better and doesn't class me as a spammer, but if I had 5 minutes to write a sig it would say: "Eternity does not have enough 5-minute slots for all the 5- minute jobs you say I should do."
Reply to
chrisj.doran

Hmmmn, works ok in konq - must be my iceweasel (firefox) setup.

I don't use gg to access uk.d-i-y, just used that as an example, was actually googling for something that happened to lead to a groups link.

Reply to
John Stumbles

Heh, tell me about it! :-)

For me, using usenet lots, it's 5-minutes[*] well-spent in making it vastly easier to access the groups

[*] FSVO 'minute'
Reply to
John Stumbles

For me, it'd take a lot more than 5 minutes to get me access to Usenet from work[1] via any other way than GG. Indeed it simply couldn't happen. :-)

Mathew

[1] During my lunch/break of course when personal access is allowed...
Reply to
Mathew Newton

Ah, you hadn't mentioned the 4-letter word :-/

Reply to
John Stumbles

Mathew Newton wibbled on Saturday 28 November 2009 13:31

Can you ssh out?

Reply to
Tim W

I connect from many sites via their web proxy server to my openVPN server running on port TCP/443 - just looks like https traffic, albeit rather long lived connections, copes with proxy authentication where needed.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Andy Burns wibbled on Saturday 28 November 2009 20:30

Then ssh -L is your friend :)

Reply to
Tim W

Unfortunately not. HTTP(S) is all I can use.

(I also cannot install any software on my client anyway)

Mathew

Reply to
Mathew Newton

Mathew Newton wibbled on Sunday 29 November 2009 10:16

I have seen a trick of having a java ssh client applet on a webserver you own and potentially you could run your ssh server on 443 too.

Might break your company policies though

Reply to
Tim W