Re: Working hours for tradesmen

Begrudgingly I have had to get a plasterer in recently to do a job in my

>house plastering 3 rooms and a staircase. Everything else I do DIY, but this >is one of those jobs I have tried and failed misserably. >The plasterer works on a day rate + materials and employs a labourer to help >him out. This equates to a total of £220 a day for the both of them + >materials. >So far so good, the work is excellent and on average they have been doing >7.5hrs a day (start at 8.30am, finish 4pm). They planned to finish today but >have decided it is going to take an extra day next week - another £220 :-( >Problem is today I noticed they slopped off early at 2.45pm - a total of >approx 6.5 hrs. >Normally I wouldn`t be bothered especially if the price I was paying was for >the job rather than a day rate. If they are trying to stretch the job to >another day by leaving early then that p*sses me off. >Not having had that many tradesmen working at my place, I am unfamiliar with >their working 'habits' and hours. What are people's thoughts ? > >John >

I've successfully used tradesmen on a time and material basis but have always done it on an hourly basis.

The simple solution here is to treat today as a part day - in effect

6.5 vs 7.5 hours and pro-rate. This equates to about £30.

If they stretch it out to a full day on Monday, unnecessarily then I would think about suggesting a deduction. On the other hand, if they have done a good job, then do you want to make an issue over £30 in what must be approaching £1000 for the total job?

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

Well, 'tis POETS day after all!

Reply to
Peter Taylor

There is also the possibility that the tradesman had to go off to a DIY store or something to stock up on materials that he needs. Whilst I would draw the line at charging a customer for that time it is always possible that there was an acceptable reason for leaving early one day.

PoP

Reply to
PoP