Re: Winter heating check

In message , Andrew Gabriel writes

snip

And all this would cost how much if done by the Yellow pages professional?

Thanks for the reminder. I plan to fit a modulating pump this time round.

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

And all this would cost how much if done by the Yellow pages

> professional?

A Yellow Pages professional would charge =A3275 for a new pump. Plus parts. Plus VAT. Plus sitting-in-the-cafe time. And would probably have left pawprints over the wallpaper and peed in the loft tank.

Even if you don't do all the drain-down palaver well worth switching the heating on occasionally just so the pump and valves don't stick.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

I fitted a Grundfos Aplha2 modulating pump last year and was really pleased with how quiet the heating became. Took a week to "learn" our heating system and haven't touched it since.

Energy savings means it should pay for itself during it's useful lifetime.

Davey

Eh? Our heating is already kicking in to keep the place warm!

"BBQ summer" my foot. Most overnight mins in August have been about

10C and the daytime maxes for the last fortnight not much above 15C. July was much the same same. June was better but we did get down to 3C on the 5th with snow falling to below 2,000'.

Dave Liquorice

In message , Davey writes

That's the one. Still sitting on the office floor beside me. Could you enlarge a little on your experience?

We have rather an awkward system in that all the radiators (except two in the bathrooms) are on TRVs. As originally installed. we had a lot of noise from the pump as the house reached temperature. This was overcome by fitting a thermostat but is still prone to noise when not much heat is required. I am hoping the Alpha 2 will be quieter:-)

Reply to
Tim Lamb

In message , Andrew Gabriel writes

I actually thought about that late on Saturday night as I staggered along the streets of Shrewsbury in a VERY drunken stupor

Reply to
geoff

You forgot the £400 power flush (even though the existing system is spotlessly clean inside).

My boiler says it runs the pump every 24 hours if not overwise used. I used to also do that with the mid-position valve from my heating controller, but I needed the extra input and output that used up for something else, so it doesn't happen anymore.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

s/overwise/otherwise/

Reply to