Re: Weird mouse problem solved...

Page 1 of 2

<snip fan woes>

Failing fans can cause all sorts of problems.
My trusty old linux router/gateway/firewall took upon itself to reboot spontaneously and frequently. Most un-linux-like behaviour.
Cause was similar - fan blocked with crud and fluff, prolly sucked off the cat when she decided that power supplies were a useful source of bedtime warmth.
Quick blast through with Henry, and it's not rebooted once in the three months that have passed.
cheers Richard -- Richard Sampson

At the moment my CPU is running at 31C, the main hard drive at 29C, inside the case is 27C, the PSU is at 35C and all 11 fans are working quite well thank you.
Colin Bignell

I would need a different case and it might get a bit noisy if I did.
Colin Bignell

Maybe it's time you went for a water cooled PC
--
geoff

"The Natural Philosopher" wrote | A bit of a puff with the mark I lips pursed plus the MkII finger
That's pretty advanced. I'm still on MkI for all body parts apart from my MkII teeth.
Owain
Owain wrote:

I get a *lot* of spam offering me various hardware upgrades.
Mary Pegg wrote:

Somehow I feel that penis enlargement techniques might nor suit you..

Depends whose penis it is!
writes

--
geoff

geoff wrote:

A friend works for a company that rent out AV kit for corporate do's etc. Hence quite often he finds himself at various functions driving some bit of AV gear, and running slide shows etc.
One such occation was a big NHS conference where amoung other things discussed were some of the strange "accidents" thet the A&E people have to deal with.
Apparently one of the most common causes of penile shaft injury in the UK is (or was - this was a few years ago now) - the Dustbuster type of rechargeable mini vacuum cleaners. Apparently some of them have a rotating fan blade with sharp edges not that far from the nose of the machine. I will leave the rest to your collective imaginations!
Salami anyone?
--
Cheers,

John.

Only if he's rolled it in crushed peppers first
--
geoff

Ouch!
-- S i g n a l @ l i n e o n e . n e t

Hi
Although I didn't quite have that set of problems I once had very annoying mouse behaviour.
After a bit of analysis I worked out it was because I used the mouse right next to the window. On sunny days the light was strong enough to penetrate the case and confuse the opto sensors. A new mouse with a darker plastic case fixed it.
IanC
Ian Clowes wrote:

I found that once a few years ago with a mouse - it only moved up and down on sunny days! The solution was to take the lid off it and colour the inside with a permenent marker pen - put it all back together and it worked fine after that!
--
Cheers,

John.

and it is mechanical rather than optical.

slotted discs.
--
Tim Mitchell

not optical, and the OP's problem included windows being opened and closed, which may mean the double-click signal is being generated somewhere along the way.
Suz wrote:

Sorry you might have got the wrong impression of my answer - I was being all anecdotal and not attempting to solve the OPs problem at all! ;-)
--
Cheers,

John.

On Wed, 17 Sep 2003 16:33:03 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@digdilem.org (Simon Avery) wrote:

In fact, having a spare is a good way to ensure you never need one - makes all fans last forever! Well known that one! ;O)
Take Care, Gnube {too thick for linux}

Not the mouse, as it happens with more than one. Not the optical sensors as double clicks are being activated. Maybe a faulty mouse port? Try a serial mouse, USB mouse - one different to current one. A stuck key (or 2) on the keyboard. Have seen this more than once. Alt stuck on mine, and I caught on when pressing F4 as it tried to close the program or tab shifted to another one. Does it only happen when you are working on it, or does it happen when you aren't touching it? If it happens when you aren't touching it then I'd look at the mouse port, otherwise the stuck keys. It's always a good idea to give the keyboard a clean anyway, but if it isn't dirt, just sticky keys then a good sharp stabbing on the usual offenders may help. Alt -esp if windows are closing, but also Ctrl, arrow keys, Backspace, tab, shift. Do you have accessibilty options switched on, which allow keys to control mouse movements and if one key is stuck may generate the movements etc. Or an alternative KB if you have one lying about.
If the kb is really bogging a good scrub with with soapy water is all else fails. Just don't put it up against the radiator to dry out, as a colleague of hubby's did. Went limp and he ended up with a banana shaped KB.
PS what makes you think its getting stuck in an interrupt service routine? Thats not easy to diagnose. Suzanne