Re: Water scale reducers?

In article , John Connett scribeth thus

The mains water supplied in Cambridge is hard. The Cambridge Water >hardness report gives 323 ppm for the calcium carbonate equivalent for >North Cambridge and 315 ppm for South Cambridge. My new heating system >will deliver mains pressure hot water via a plate heat exchanger and I >am contemplating specifying a scale reducer or inhibitor. There appear >to be three main types: chemical (polyphosphate); magnetic; and >electronic. I'm prepared to accept that the polyphosphate type might >work (but then I haven't studied chemistry since secondary school) but >the magnetic and electronic types sound rather magical! > >Any recommendations?

Shouldn't need one. I've have to cover the maintenance on a few properties and have never had a problem as such with the water hardness..

Reply to
tony sayer

tony sayer wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@bancom.co.uk:

As far as I can tell only the ion/salt type are proven to work. There is no widely accepted scientific explanation of how magnetic or electronic types might work (if they do). That hasn't stopped a million websites making all sorts of dubious/nonsense claims for them.

The US Army tested some magnetic/electronic types...

concluded they don't work. Page 34.

Southern water say..

"Whilst the theoretical and practical aspects of softening and chemical conditioning are well understood and established, the scientific principles behind physical conditioning are not fully understood".

They also point out that only one electronic type has ever passed German tests.

Reply to
CWatters