Re: VERY IMPORTANT - MUY IMPORTANTE - la discusión sobre la religión no es muy importante

Mike Halmarack wrote:

> [...]

I'm not a religious person. I only believe in "God" to the extent that I believe that a superior being(s) with the potential to exert an influence could exist. I do think prayer can be effective on a personal and social level though, for those who use or are influenced by it. So on this basis the difference between the effects of public and private prayer may be significant.

Reply to
Mike Halmarack

Prayer is effective; but not if the person being prayed for doesn't know about it. That may make the sceptical dismiss it as a simple placebo effect of course.

I prefer the effectiveness of TLC.

Reply to
John Cartmell

Is the placebo effect simple or is this just a device for denigrating it?

I hope you get it.:-)

Reply to
Mike Halmarack

There are other electrical wholesalers, you know.....

Reply to
Andy Hall

Well-being improves if you think positively about yourself. Taking medicines that you have reason to believe will do you good helps you feel positive about yourself. Knowing that you are cared for does the same.

Families can be very good institutions. ;-))

Reply to
John Cartmell

Yes, I'm sure you're right.

That sounds like it might work. I'm sure there's evidence to support it.

That seems like quite a useful analogy for God to me.

Then don't take it.

Perhaps you weren't listening. Even scientifically.

I think it's more likely to imply a facet of our subconscious most directly but this may interact with other things.

Reply to
Mike Halmarack