Re: verdigris (sp?) on copper fittings

Having installed my underfloor heating system with thermal store, as this is

> a fully pressurised system had the store to boiler connections put in by a > friend of the family who is Corgi registered. > > Noticed that all of his copper joints - water or gas ... have bright green > verdigris (sp?) coating on them. > What is the best way of cleaning this off - other than just plain old woolly > wire. > > Is there anything that can be wiped on to prevent it coming back ? ... don't > want to spray pipes with clear coat. > > I previously have always wiped joints before they cool - and not had this > problem - but Corgi man he say no ! > > Rick

Just been discussed in another thread but I can't find it just now! [Could even have been you] This is due to the flux used to clean the joint during soldering. 'Wiping whilst hot' is apparently a shooting offence. If the acid flux is cleaned off it should not come back (hopefully). I would assume that warm water and a mild detergent would shift it. Don't know if you have to neutralise it to prevent it coming back from traces. If so, presumably some weak alkali solution (although I suppose that could cause other problems) :-(

Spray with something like WD40 to clear any remaining water based solvents?

Or just polish every day with Brasso :-)

Hopefully someone has a tried and tested cure.

Cheers Dave R

Reply to
David W.E. Roberts