Re: Using US appliances in the UK

On Fri, 15 Aug 2003 22:29:29 +0100, "Peter Crosland"

It does depend on the starting price.
For a wireless router, as Scott has mentioned, the price differential from U.S. to U.K. is not that great; but for items that are early on the market it might be.
For example, you can buy at 802.11g router in the U.S. for approx. $100 (about 65 at the current rate). In the UK you will pay about 90 net. However, the shipment cost by Fedex or DHL would be abour 35 since the post office service on both sides of the Atlantic is incompetent and not to be trusted.
On a single item purchase like this, it isn't therefore really worth it. However, if the value of the order is $200 or more, then it is interesting to purchase from the U.S., as long as the item has a universal power supply.
There is no duty on this type of equipment or software, only VAT, which of course is also payable for local purchases.
Generally commodity items such as motherboards, memory and CPUs are not worth importing - other items may well be.
The other option is to take the opportunity to have a cheap holiday in the U.S. I believe that the duty and VAT free allowance on goods from the U.S. is now 145. In that scenario, you have no shipping cost either, so you are a fair way towards the cost of the ticket..... One issue is that if you go to a retail store, you will generally pay sales tax, whereas internet orders do not carry this for international shipments. However you can choose to visit a state such as Delaware or Montana which do not have sales tax.
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Andy Hall wrote:

only charge 3% sales tax.
Sheila
Scott wrote:

Cut the plug off it and put UK plug on. Looks like its a good un with either dual volage capability or a PSU that can take a whole range of voltages as input. Nice
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Might be a bit tricky if the original is a wall wart!
--
Cheers,

John.

On Sat, 16 Aug 2003 05:34:03 +0100, John Rumm

There are then a couple of options.
- Buy a travel adaptor (or more typically a travel transformer since there is a 110/220v issue which is more dangerous for Americans coming to Europe) in the U.S.
- Buy a U.S. socket that goes on the end of a lead and make up an adaptor with 13A plug on the other.
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Try www.farnell.com I have seen at least one travel adaptor that was imported from the states that was NOT fused!!!, had a guy plug his walkman in, took out the 32A breaker..........
On Sat, 16 Aug 2003 09:32:06 +0100, "James Salisbury"

This is why a transformer (which will generally have a thermal fuse) or a made up lead are the preferred options.....
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

32A - that's like a 6 inch nail for a fuse - the walkman would have melted first
--
geoff

The alternative would be to buy an empty UK wall wart case from Maplin etc and transfer the guts. I did this with my re-chargable shaver, since my bathroom shaver socket switches with the lights.
--
*What was the best thing before sliced bread? *

"Dave Plowman" wrote | Huge wrote: | > >The alternative would be to buy an empty UK wall wart case from | > >Maplin etc | > Damn. They sell those? Good idea... | Yup - and in IIRC three sizes.
Five. There's a small striped box with a brass earth pin available in two sizes (one while stocks last) as well as the three sizes of ones with insulated earths.
Owain

Always make something as simple as 'plug it in' as complex as possible.
Regards, NT

Depends on what DIY jobs you find enjoyable. I'll swap you a dozen making of wall warts for painting a room. ;-)
--
*Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder *

BTW a lot of people have fallen for the promise of a rebate.
Regards, NT

I leave them in the bin in the hotel room, and buy a new one in the UK. If it was 230V capable, I would bring it back though, but none of the ones I've bought in the US ever have been. However, I did find an electrical junk shop in the US selling 230V PSU's dirt cheap, as they're no use in the US, but next time I went there to get one, they'ed chucked them all.
--
Andrew Gabriel

On Sat, 16 Aug 2003 09:00:25 +0100, "Scott"

I would suggest that you a) get the person to put the net cost after rebate on the customs declaration on the box, and b) put a copy of the original receipt and a copy of the rebate certificate in the box.
At this price level, there is more than a fair chance that it will be ignored for customs purposes anyway. However if they do decide to open it, it may not look plausible that this item is only $30.